Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VW 16v to ford type 9 gearbox
coxylaad

posted on 16/11/05 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
VW 16v to ford type 9 gearbox

Hi all,
Has anyone done the above? I am trying to find a way to fit a VW 16v engine, or better still an audi 20v turbo engine to a ford type 9 gearbox.

I know it must be possible because the donkevoort does it, and an Estonian company called EstField do a similar thing. Now I would have thought an estonian company would go through all the expense of building their own bellhousing, so there must be something I can do!!!

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Ian

Ian

Rorty

posted on 17/11/05 at 02:20 AM Reply With Quote
Why not contact both companies and ask how they do it?
Just looking at you details on the left, I think you'll find a company by the name of Volkswagen have already built a car called the VW Corrado.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coxylaad

posted on 17/11/05 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
My corrado has the 24v engine and 4wd running gear from a Golf V6 4Motion with a supercharger for added oomph so its not really as VW intended

I was asking about the bellhousing for my mate really, we have contacted the said companies and waiting for a response.

I cant understand why the VW engine range does not get used to be honest?

Ian

James

posted on 17/11/05 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Ian,

'Fraid I can't be any help with the bell-housing. I'd be surprised if there wasn't someone around the UK who would/does do what you want though.
If you're really deperate you could build your own I guess by welding two chopped steel ones together. (There was an article about doing this in a recent edition of Practical Performance Car).

As a bit of a VW fan myself I was wondering what your project is? You doing a RWD Corrado conversion? (In which case do you thing a standard Type 9 will be up to the power?). Or something else?

Cheers,
James

EDIT: Aach, you beat me to the reply!

[Edited on 17/11/05 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

bimbleuk

posted on 17/11/05 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
You would really need a BGH type 9 or similar to take turbo power. Especially as the 20V VAG lump is easily tuneable and produces lots of torque.

How about a Borg Warner T5 from a cossie (RWD) though they take up more tunnel space

DarrenW

posted on 17/11/05 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
I had similar thoughts when starting my build. i had a 16V KR laid idle. Unfortunately i could not find any way of mating it to the type 9. I was told that it may be possible to use 'box from LDV van or something like that but wether that would fit on a locost chassis was doubtful.

Iam convinced that there must be a way. Unfortunately i didnt have the time or dedication to find out.

What about making a gearbox adaptor plate?

Syd Bridge

posted on 17/11/05 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Someone in the speedway Hotrods does the housings, but don't know who at this point.
quattromike

posted on 17/11/05 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Would a gearbox from a RWD Audi not fit as they all seem to copy the same engine design! find an old one in a scrappy an see.

Mike

Mark Allanson

posted on 17/11/05 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Just a thought, but what about a LT van?, you could probably use a Porsche 924/944 engine

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

James

posted on 17/11/05 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coxylaad
My corrado has the 24v engine and 4wd running gear from a Golf V6 4Motion with a supercharger for added oomph so its not really as VW intended

Holy Crap! I think I'm in love!

Any chance of a website update any time soon? I want pictures and technical details!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

rusty nuts

posted on 17/11/05 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't there use to be a company called GB engineering that did conversion bellhousings for various engine/gearbox combinations?Once had a kit to fit a 1600/1800 Golf engine to an aircooled box made by them .
Rorty

posted on 18/11/05 at 03:30 AM Reply With Quote
I'm interested in this too because I can see implications for a Locost running a complete VW drivetrain, both transverse mid-mounted and in-line front-mounted.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sebastiaan

posted on 18/11/05 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
found 'em

http://www.touchcrewe.com/business/list/bid/1749803

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 18/11/05 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Ive done it the other way round beetle with ford kent !!!!!!!!

try gilo engineering

www.giloeng.com

(good exchange rate)

[Edited on 18-11-05 by mangogrooveworkshop]

coxylaad

posted on 2/12/05 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
OK sorry for the late reply.

Just an update:
My mate has sourced an engineer that is well into this sort of thing, an he believes it can be done with just an adaptor plate.

If we get a solution we will obviously offer it to the forum, as I am certain (and I cant belive it hasnt been done before) that people would be interested in this, vw engines are just the best.

Ian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.