Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Aaaaarghh! Bent tube
Liam

posted on 12/3/03 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Aaaaarghh! Bent tube

Hello...

Chassis fully welding is almost complete and giving it a look over I noticed a slight bend in one of the tubes! My chassis is quite different to the book but its the equivalent of F2 in the book running from the end of the drivers footwell to the rearmost bottom wishbone mount. I guess things have moved around a little with the welding and this tube has developed a slight bend - it's about 1-2mm higher in the middle than at the ends over its 70-80 cm length. Boo-larks. Questions are:

How much does this matter? From an engineering point of view i can see it's not exactly optimum, but is it a problem?

Or do I need to remove it (which will be a right pain in the arse at one end. Maybe I could remove one end, cut it close to the awkward end, and weld in a replacement?

Or maybe I could cut it in the middle with a hacksaw and the width of the cut will shorten the tube enough for it to sit straight, and weld it back together. Hmmmm.

Bit of a git. Almost didn't notice it - kind of wish I hadn't. Any suggestions anybody?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Liam

posted on 12/3/03 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Ooops posted before completion - and it wont let me edit it (??). Anyway, where was I...oh yeah:

Cheers,

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 12/3/03 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
or maybe you could just leave it ???

Metal Hippy™

posted on 12/3/03 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
1-2mm sounds pretty minimal in the big scheme of things...

President of the Non-conformist Locost Builders Club. E-mail for details...

Mark Allanson

posted on 12/3/03 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
If you cut it out, the forces making it bend in the first place will be unleashed and you will probably have several bent tubes! You need to find out what is causing the distortion, a probable cure would be to heat the tube causing the bend to cherry red to relieve the stress, you will probably find the bent tube will settle back to its original position.

On the other hand, the deflection is not massive, do some cross triangulation measurements or a drop test and see if it is making any appreciable difference

Personally if it aint broken, dont fix it!

Mark

Liam

posted on 12/3/03 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the thoughts guys. I am leaning in the direction of leaving it cos it's a rather small bend.

Mark - cross triangulation measurements and drop tests sound like things any self respecting engineer should know about - would you mind enlightening me?

I guess tube 'a' must have pulled the side in a bit shortening the hypotenuse (so to speak) tube 'b' making it bend upwards (or downwards in this photo cos the chassis is up-side-down. So do ya reckon heating tube 'a' will let the side come back out a bit and relieve some of the compressive force in tube 'b'?

Here is a shot attempting to show the bend...

It's a bit hard to tell. I may just leave it alone. Hmmm...

Liam

Viper

posted on 12/3/03 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Looking at your last pic i can't see that any welds you have done could have that effect, i am not being funny but was the tube straight before you fitted it, i know a lot of tube like this is not allways straight, or perhaps something was dropped on it or even the chassis dropped???
just a thought..

stephen_gusterson

posted on 12/3/03 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Liam

If a tiny deflection like that is worring you, you are in for a mental breakdown before you finish your build.

go to TOL

and search for posts by Ken Walton. Ken built many cars in his life, and raced em. His philosophy to chassis building will make you feel better and more confident.

atb

steve

fastenuff

posted on 13/3/03 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
if you want a quick result type "banana" bananashape"

Ingmar

Liam

posted on 13/3/03 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Oh righty ho - maybe I should consider myself lucky then! At least my chassis still sits flat on it's base. Why on earth would you fully weld the thing before putting any triangulation in it? Surely you can expect it to distort if you do that? Oh well.

Cheers for the reassurement guys.

Liam

Mark Allanson

posted on 13/3/03 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Drop checks and cross triangluation

A drop check is what bodyshops used to do before chassis jigs were invented (or cheap enough to be viable!). Use a plumbline to mark on the floor several reference points on the chassis, use chalked string pulled very taught across the marks on the floor and then twang the string. This leaves a fine chalk line on the floor. Any distortion will be picked up by a lack of symetry in the chalk lines.

Cross triangulation is just measuring all the diagonals to make sure they are the same, I used a 3m length of 1" RHS marked with a scriber line at one end to check that I had no distortion. I used B1 as a datum and checked that every joint was the same distance from its opposite end of B1, it works in 3 dimentions as well.

It is imposible to tell from an image, but the length of the weld at the front of the tube is twice the width of the tube. If you have put more amps into the upper or lower weld, or ground off more from the top than the bottom, this will pull a twist which may exhibit itself as a beld. If it worrying you, hacksaw through the weld and see which way the tube jumps - if it doesn't, you just have a bent tube!

Mark

Stu16v

posted on 14/3/03 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
And remember, the chassis is only there to locate the suspension points. As long as these are in the right place, it's not important.
Cheers, Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 15/3/03 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
it stops your bum from dragging on the floor too!

atb

steve

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.