Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Caterham 7 on BBC4 NOW or you've missed it
RoadkillUK

posted on 25/3/03 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Caterham 7 on BBC4 NOW or you've missed it

Caterham 7 is on BBC 4 at 19:00 on Tuesday 25th March.

Documentary following the fortunes of Simon Nearn as he takes over the company founded by his father. Caterham Cars builds the fastest accelerating production sports car in the world, but is the 45-year-old design in danger of being overtaken by the fast-changing motor industry? What is needed to secure the firm\'s future?

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 25/3/03 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
What the hell is BBC4,i'm only just getting used to CH4 let alone colour

Mark Allanson

posted on 25/3/03 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Whats wrong with that guys eyes, my son was mesmerised, after a very long silence he said "I hope he doesn't drive on dual carriageways!"
Peteff

posted on 25/3/03 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
He could be a reporter, the roving eye type.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Dick Axtell

posted on 25/3/03 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Just caught 2nd half! See what was meant about the eyes!! It also illustrated the problems in dealing with a product which has iconic/folk status (not to mention historical & cultural links). If you stop making the icon, you probably lose a large & supportive customer base.

On the other hand - how many "imitators" of this icon are there? 30+ worldwide? Must be doing something right.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

David Jenkins

posted on 25/3/03 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting that they admitted that they were losing their market share. They said it was due to the greater customer choice, but neglected to mention that it could be due to the fact that their cars are considerably more expensive than West fields, Dax, MK, ST, and so on.

People have seen that they can have as much (or even more) car for their money elsewhere.

I got the distinct impression that the son disliked sevens pretty strongly!

DJ

Mark Allanson

posted on 25/3/03 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
What do you expect from a chap who drive an (takes deep breath..) automatic

It may me automatic but you DO still have to be there

carnut

posted on 25/3/03 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Whats all this dislike for caterhams??

I know for sure that they are far supperior to any other seven inspired car on the market. Not only in performance and handling but in build quality. Have you looked closely at a new caterham, all the ali body is perfectly made, nice ali scuttle and no joins visible. (its all tig welded and rubbed down) They pay a great deal of attention to detail in the way they use more bespoke parts such as uprights, their own 6-speed box, dry sump and roller barrel throttle bodies.

As far as cost goes you pay for what you get and caterham owners get a hell of a lot.

Im not trying to down grade locosts and the like but im sure if we all had the money we would have caterhams rather than locosts.

Just remember that they are the original and without that car there would be no such thing as a locost!

Metal Hippy™

posted on 25/3/03 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think we would all have Caterhams at all.

I know for a fact that I for one am building a car from scratch because I want to build a car from scratch, not buy a kit.

I'm pretty certain lots of others will feel the same.

President of the Non-conformist Locost Builders Club. E-mail for details...

stephen_gusterson

posted on 25/3/03 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
I saw the program and was amused that a whole hours was spent on the discussion and proposals of a new car and it didnt even get past a couple of hand drawings.

It smacked to me of someone inheriting a business that had no idea at all.

At one moment they agreed on a front engined design saying it was the most flexible, only to say a minute later they were going for a rear engined design as it was more flexible. My 14 year old said 'dont they mean mid engined' (cos its not past the rear axle line). Pehaps if Matthew had been in a meeting he coulda given them more of a clue.

It was a whole hour about nothing, apart from the shots of cateringvans.

atb

steve

chrisg

posted on 25/3/03 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with the hairy one.

I wouldn't have one, it';s nothing to do with the cost - I made my car.

Looked at in one way you could say that without the Lotus seven there would be no Locost, but maybe Caterham were just the first of the imitators?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

David Jenkins

posted on 26/3/03 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carnut

Im not trying to down grade locosts and the like but im sure if we all had the money we would have caterhams rather than locosts.

Just remember that they are the original and without that car there would be no such thing as a locost!

NO, I wouldn't have a Cateringvan, simply because they are over-priced for what they offer - you can get the same "4-wheel motorcycle" experience from a top-notch ready-made Westie or Dax. Also, I can't get my big feet around the pedals, which I reckon is a basic design flaw.

If I had that sort of money to spend on a ready-made "toy car" I'd probably buy a Lotus Elise.

Anyway, if the boss doesn't get his act together, either in pricing or new design, the whole "caterham is best" debate is soon going to be academic.

DJ

Mark H

posted on 26/3/03 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Programme:

The fact that the boss (eyed one) wanted to "supercede" the 7 showed how little he knew about his core market - it IS the 7.

Even his committee were saying the Caterham brand wasn't trusted to produce anything else (ie Caterham's raison-d'etre was the 7)

Anyway, with their budget, don't you get a feeling that anything they produce will just look like a below average kit car?

As Steve says, quote:
It smacked to me of someone inheriting a business that had no idea at all.

Sad really.

Regarding whether I'd buy a Caterham, I can't even fit in one, anyway. It's about 6 inches shorther than a Stuart Taylor chassis.

I am spending around £2.5k on my locost, and can just about justify it (to myself anyway).

£20k is so out of the question!! Things may be a bargain or bloody good value, but you still have to have the cash.

I'd happily wave at/blat with any 7-esque car, be it a Caterham, Westy, Robin Hood or even wooden locusts.

Other people can keep the snobbery, I say.

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

Findlay234

posted on 26/3/03 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Well there was another cateringvan. the 21

http://freespace.virgin.net/andrew.edney/21/2001/

fin

carnut

posted on 26/3/03 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Dont suppose any one recorded this program on caterham as i would very much like to see it.

Id be very happy if someone would lend me a video or even happier if they have it in digital format and could e-mail it to me.

David Jenkins

posted on 26/3/03 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
It was an hour-long program - that would be a hell of an MPG file!

David

P.S. I was interested to see that it was an "Open University Production for the BBC" - I guess that it will re-appear in one of the OU Management Studies courses.

David Jenkins

posted on 26/3/03 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Findlay234
Well there was another cateringvan. the 21

http://freespace.virgin.net/andrew.edney/21/2001/

fin

That was mentioned in the show - even they admitted that it was a mistake. "Tarted up 7" was the gist of what their designer said. It was abandoned because the Elise appeared just as the 21 was due for release, totally eclipsing Caterham's car ("Big name, huge development budget, better design" - Caterham's chief designer)

DJ

kingr

posted on 26/3/03 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Yup, the 21 is a fair old mutt, looks like a demented Mazda MX5. Lets face it Caterham is a pretty weird company because it's not really a car company, more a car manufacturer. The Seven is the only thing that people know them for, and they didn't design it, so they've got no design history. Maybe they'd be rather more healthy if they hadn't gone way off the scale on price and pretty much abandoned kit cars. Recessions are always going to hit companies like Caterham hard, because there's no justification for them except as being extremely expensive toys and they're the first thing that people are going to stop spending on when times get hard.

I wouldn't say that we owe very much to caterham, just because they bought the rights doesn't mean they're furthering the cause.

Cateham would have to do something pretty special to beat the Elise.

Kingr

Spyderman

posted on 26/3/03 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately I never saw the Caterham program.
However as I see it, the Caterham 7 is sold as a Toy for the well heeled. It is basically a track day car for those without the knowhow, time or inclination to make their own.
The fact that most on this board are able to build our own at much less cost(?) should not detract from the fact that the Caterham does have a market to sell to.

In my opinion a logical development would be a track day car styled on the (ever so popular at the moment) GT cars, much like everyone else is doing.
Would be a nice reversal seeing Caterham copying Westfield!

Terry

Spyderman

kingr

posted on 26/3/03 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
How long till we see the Caterham Radical then? Or even weirder, the locoradical or locoxtr2?

Kingr

andyd

posted on 26/3/03 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Dont suppose any one recorded this program on caterham as i would very much like to see it.

Id be very happy if someone would lend me a video or even happier if they have it in digital format and could e-mail it to me.

No need (unless you don't have access to BBC4) as it's repeated tomorrow (27th) and 23:30 (that's 11:30 PM )

My 2p, I would have like to build a Caterham a few years ago but that's before I realised that the Locost phenomenon existed. Cost is not necessarily an issue for all people just the majority who would like to own a 7 style car. Value for money however should be a concern for all. When I looked into buying a Caterham kit they wanted £10k just for the basic one. Far clat I think. Even the amount that my fellow builder and I will have spent on our Locost is fairly steep for some but we will have a higher spec car that the cheaper Caterhams. Whether it is the same quality is entirely up to us in the amount of time we choose to spend on it versus the "want it finished" factor. Which ever way you look at it most seven style cars are fun cars and if Caterham don't seriously reduce prices then they won't survive. If you had a decent amount of cash to buy a seven with and someone gave you the choice between a Caterham at £20k and say a fully spec'd MK which was say £10k wouldn't you buy the MK and spend the other £10k on other things? I know I would.

[Edited on 26/3/2003 by andyd]

Andy

stephen_gusterson

posted on 27/3/03 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I did. its got a program after it about the bouncing bomb. soon as I have seen that in a day or so ya can borrow it.

mail me your addy and i will get it off to you.

cheers

steve

James

posted on 28/3/03 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
I did. its got a program after it about the bouncing bomb. soon as I have seen that in a day or so ya can borrow it.

mail me your addy and i will get it off to you.
cheers
steve

Steve,
You'd better be careful and wipe over all that late night Channel5 stuff you've got on the rest of the tape! Could be embarrassing...

;-)

James

stephen_gusterson

posted on 28/3/03 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
whadya mean...

Im the slim looking stud in those movies!

atb

steve

Alan B

posted on 21/4/03 at 12:50 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone still needing to see this it's at:

http://www.unibrain.org/motorsports/caterham/BBC4Documentary.htm

I just watched it, and basically IMO

Over priced product = loss of market share

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.