Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: K-series In An Indy?
mark_mcd

posted on 6/4/07 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
K-series In An Indy?

Has anyone done this? It seems a 1.4 k-series engine would be a good engine for the car on paper at least... Lightweight, cheap (apart from the bellhousing kit...), similar power to stock pinto, revvy and would be cheaper for me to insure I would imagine... Caterham use it in their Classic.

Would MK sort me out with mounts etc? Could I get away with using no bonnet scoop?

Cheers

[Edited on 6/4/2007 by mark_mcd]

Humbug

posted on 6/4/07 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a 1.4 with standard ECU and inlet manifold, even an exhaust with a cat!. The Stuart Taylor has a low bonnet line, so I ended up with a small scoop.

I got custom mounts made up having made templates from wood.

GeoffT recently converted from Xflow to K-series on throttle bodies.

Not sure if anyone's got a K-series in an Indy, but Hammerhead is/was doing it, I think.

[Edited on 06.04.2007 by Humbug]

Hammerhead

posted on 6/4/07 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I am putting the 1.8 k in an indy. It has been a real ball ache for me, but I have managed to get it to the stage where I am about to put it in the chassis and design the mountings.
MK don't make mountings at the mo, but I said I would give them a copy of my patterns once I had mine fitted.

You will need the bellhousing, got mine for about £100 from blatchat. (caterham forum)

I also got a shortened sump.

You will need the ecu, 5as unit and key fob from the doner car to make it worthwhile. Alot of people say that the 1.4 is a good doner for a 7 type car.

If you want to know anything else don't hesitate to ask me.

Steve.

snoopy

posted on 6/4/07 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
you mean like this

rover
rover

its a doddle to fit you keep the existing throttle housing you dont have to modify sump or move alternator you even keep original alterntor belt engine mounts are dead easy as is exhaust its straight out above chassis top rail only expence is bellhousing and starter motor but you will need a bonnet buldge though

and as they say on blue peter heres one i made earlier

[Edited on 6/4/07 by snoopy]

stevec

posted on 6/4/07 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Snoopy,
Your back, hooray
Steve.

Hammerhead

posted on 7/4/07 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Snoopy, when you say engine mounts are 'dead easy' could you elaborate on that?
Cheers.

snoopy

posted on 8/4/07 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
was a while ago now mounts were hade from flat plate and 50mm box much like mk pinto ones but longer and using if i can rember the holes arrowed in the pictures

k seris 1
k seris 1

[Edited on 8/4/07 by snoopy]

mark_mcd

posted on 8/4/07 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snoopy
you mean like this

rover
rover

its a doddle to fit you keep the existing throttle housing you dont have to modify sump or move alternator you even keep original alterntor belt engine mounts are dead easy as is exhaust its straight out above chassis top rail only expence is bellhousing and starter motor but you will need a bonnet buldge though

and as they say on blue peter heres one i made earlier

[Edited on 6/4/07 by snoopy]

Excellent . Ideally it would be good if I could order the kit and have MK make the mounts for me so if they have done it before thats great. I would be keeping standard ecu etc.

So basically the only thing that needs done to this engine would be to sort the bellhousing and starter motor? What starter motor was used? How much for a bellhousing? How much sump clearance do you have with an unmodded sump?

Off the top of my head I read before that the 1.4 and maybe 1.6 engines need something drilled?

Thanks guys

snoopy

posted on 8/4/07 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
some of these questions im unable to answer as the bellhousing clutch and starter motor were provided for us by company they were built for but you can ask him yourself
here
as to the sump clarance then its fine

Hammerhead

posted on 8/4/07 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
thanks snoopy. Thats a great help.

I think the 1.4 and 1.6 need the crank drilling to allow the type 9 input shaft to fit. Also you will need the type 9 gearbox from a xr4i the one with the longer input shaft. Guess how i found that one out?

blatchat is a good website for k series questions.

mark_mcd

posted on 9/4/07 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hammerhead
I think the 1.4 and 1.6 need the crank drilling to allow the type 9 input shaft to fit. Also you will need the type 9 gearbox from a xr4i the one with the longer input shaft. Guess how i found that one out?

hi, is the crank drilling a big job?

Hammerhead

posted on 10/4/07 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
i don't know. My engine is 1.8 so doesnt need the mod. Best go on www.blatchat.com (.co.uk?) and do a search.

mark_mcd

posted on 10/4/07 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
it seems you cannot register on that site unless you are a member of the club?
StevieB

posted on 11/4/07 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
It's probably an expensive option (but occassionally a pleasant suprise), but Caterham use the 1400 K Series in their Classic and Academy race cars - they're bound to supply bellhousing's (and gearboxes too, if you have the budget and want a close ratio 6 speeder).

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.