Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: wing stays continued
jabbahutt

posted on 24/9/07 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
wing stays continued

quick question relating to my earlier post. does the vertical part of the stay that fits to the hub pinch bolt go at the rear of the bolt assembly or should it fit in the gap of the hub that pinch bolt closes up? (the one that you push a wedge into to remove thehub from the original Sierra suspension unit)

Hope that's clear, thanks in advance

Nigel

John22000

posted on 24/9/07 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Nigel,

Hopefully this makes sense....

The MK Wing Stay bolts to the upright at the back of the upright.

Secure the wingstay at the bottom, loosely, make sure the mushroom bolt is tight, then you should be able to locate the top wingstay fixing over the bolt and secure it with a nut.

If you need to you can adjust it slightly with washers between the hub and the wingstay bracket.

You will need to get hold of a longer bolt to go far enough through the hub to allow the wingstay to fix to it. M12x1.75 if memory serves. Think I got a couple of 70mm but could well be wrong on this one.

John.

jabbahutt

posted on 24/9/07 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
cheers John

So do I understand correctly that the lower connection to the lower suspension, you leave the original Nylock that attaches the hub in place tightened up and sandwich the stay on top of that nut with another one? or nothing at all it's just attached to the hub with the pinch bolt and the lower mounting hole just locates over the mushroom bolt but isn't held with a nut?

Cheers
Nigel

[Edited on 24/9/07 by jabbahutt]

nick205

posted on 24/9/07 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Nige, just popped out to the garage and took these pics - hopefully they show what you're after...

wing-stay-1
wing-stay-1

wing-stay-2
wing-stay-2

wing-stay-3
wing-stay-3

[Edited on 24/9/07 by nick205]

jabbahutt

posted on 24/9/07 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Nick

Those answer a lot of questions. I see that your lower mounting is under the nylok. When you removed this to fit the stay how stable was the hub assembly without that nut?
Also do you know what nut size (thread etc) as I'm going to need to replace mine as they're fully tighten up and I don't trust nyloks once they've been removed.

Cheers for the help, it's much appreciated.

Nigel

nick205

posted on 24/9/07 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
If it's already been tighented up then the bottom ball joint will stay in place in the upright when you remove the nut. Obviously best not to go moving the car around too much or jumping up and down etc though.

I'm not sure what thread the ball joint is though - from memory it looked like a finer pitch than normal. Probably a case of taking an old one to the nut and bolt shop and getting a replacement.

For the top fitting of the wing stay to the upright you'll need an M12 x 70mm bolt to provide enough length for the stay, washer and nut. Again fro memory I think I had to use a set screw as opposed to a bolt for this. A standard bolt doesn't pinch the upright together before the unthreaded section of the bolt reaches the threaded section in the upright.

mad-butcher

posted on 24/9/07 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
nigel
put a jack under the bottom wishbone just high enough to touch it, this stops the wishbone from dropping undrt the pressure of the coilover, a trick i use with nyloks is to pack them out with washers so the bolt never touches the nylon insert untill i'm ready for final assembly,
tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.