Board logo

Brilliant suspension & steering tool
britishtrident - 25/11/14 at 04:23 PM

I bought one these Universal Steering Knuckle Spreader Tool Removal Installation Ball Joints A6011 and have now used it 3 times highly recommended saves loads of time and broken screwdrivers. Once the clamp is spread the ball joint just drops out with a single light tap.

It also works on front struts that clamp to the swivle hub as on the Sierra, Montego, Rovers and lot of other cars.

loggyboy - 25/11/14 at 04:41 PM

Does look like a simple but clever tool - video guide - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHZ4v8SB3OE

nick205 - 25/11/14 at 05:08 PM

Probably better than the cold chisel and hammer method I've always used

Slimy38 - 25/11/14 at 05:57 PM

I ground down an M12 bolt so it was just a hex head and a rectangular shaft. The rectangle had one dimension that was smaller than the gap, the other dimension slight larger. Insert the bolt into the gap, use a spanner to turn it ninety degrees, job done.

RickRick - 25/11/14 at 09:09 PM

Grind a screwdriver shape tip onto the short end of a large allen key whack it in and turn to spread though I do like the special bolt idea too

coyoteboy - 9/2/15 at 05:54 PM

Broken my fingers a few times with a chisel and hammer to split the clamp. Would much rather a low impact solution but never have the time to make it when I need it, and always forget when I don't need it! Looks useful but fairly large - not an issue getting into the cramped spaces ball joints are normally in?