Board logo

Anyone used Eurostar with kit and what ground clearance?
AdrianH - 8/3/17 at 10:08 PM

I believe that if car is under 1.8 metres tall you go on the top deck so you have to go up ramps.

I have around 80 to 100 mm clearance under sump and was advised to book saying car over 1.8 metres so I end up on the bottom.

So I wonder if anyone has used the train ferry service,in the kits and what ground clearance they would have had.

I do need to get under and measure but difficult when sat in it!

Adrian

[Edited on 8-3-17 by AdrianH]

bi22le - 8/3/17 at 10:36 PM

Yup 4 times and no issues.

Stock striker ground clearance which is nothing radical.

jeffw - 8/3/17 at 10:52 PM

always go in with the tall vehicles, just claim it is too low and they let you go with the 4x4/trailers/vans etc

tegwin - 9/3/17 at 08:29 AM

Yup as above... go with the big vehicles that way it's pretty much a flat entrance.

Chris_Xtreme - 9/3/17 at 09:39 AM

loads of the skcc guys do it, I went once with them and had no issues, they just put us downstairs. never a concern re clearance. the v8 did set the alarms off tho and they had to stop filling the train until I had got to my parking spot !!!!

designer - 9/3/17 at 09:56 AM

YEP, they put low cars downstairs where it's all flat from platform to train.

motivforz - 9/3/17 at 12:37 PM

There are a couple of steps/ramps which are minor, but I've been in the kit several times and been fine. Just take it slowly and you'll be alright!

DJT - 9/3/17 at 12:54 PM

Have always been sent downstairs in the kit. I have about 3-4 inches under sump. The floor cameras/fire sensors/whatever make me cringe when driving over them, but never contacted anything.

r1_pete - 9/3/17 at 03:56 PM

Be careful when you book, to take your car you need Eurotunnel Le Shuttle, not Eurostar.

When I was working I needed to go over to France a few times on business, on one occasion the booking agent booked Star, what a mess to get sorted, just glad I had an admin asst.....

[Edited on 9/3/17 by r1_pete]

AdrianH - 9/3/17 at 06:54 PM

Thanks for the comments guys.

So it is Eurostar which is passenger and
Eurotunnel which operate le Shuttle.

Must get the latter.

Cheers

Adrian