Board logo

DIFF PROBLEMS?
limpetminer - 16/7/14 at 04:51 PM

Have a tiger avon with cbr1000rr engine thought i had a problem with clutch slip but fitted new clutch with barnett springs but still feels like its slipping,could it be the diff?it has a cosworth type has anyone any ideas.

CosKev3 - 16/7/14 at 05:28 PM

Pretty sure if the diff goes you would get no drive at all,no noises etc from it?

Have you got a bit of slack on your clutch before it starts pulling the clutch in?

adithorp - 16/7/14 at 05:45 PM

You wouldn't get "clutch slip" like symptoms from a diff'. Only things that give that (rev' increase not matched by acceleration) are clutch or wheel spin.

As said above, have you got a bit of free play in the cable? A call to Andy Bates might help if you don't get an answer here.

britishtrident - 16/7/14 at 06:33 PM

By any chance is it OK immediately after a cold start? The reason I ask this a few years back on this forum a locoster changed his diff and rear axle 3 times. In fact there was no fault in the diff the problem was in fact due to the brakes binding solid as the brakes became warm due to a master cylinder push rod adjustment problem.

[Edited on 16/7/14 by britishtrident]

kj - 16/7/14 at 07:21 PM

What oil you using

limpetminer - 16/7/14 at 07:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
Pretty sure if the diff goes you would get no drive at all,no noises etc from it?

Have you got a bit of slack on your clutch before it starts pulling the clutch in?

Clutch has free play & have tried pulling pedal back diff has a bit of slack in it but nothing major & no noises have used yamalube 10w40 semi synthetic oil so i think i will call ab performance for advise.

limpetminer - 16/7/14 at 07:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kj
What oil you using

Yamalube 10w40 semi synthetic

K13JOB - 17/7/14 at 07:54 PM

Assuming you are using a hydraulic clutch, it is your Master cylinder (or less likely the slave). I have had this problem and like you assumed it was the clutch itself before a new master cylinder cured it.

Safe to say the diff will not fail in a way give a feel like clutch slip.

amalyos - 17/7/14 at 08:15 PM

Make sure you have all the spacer rings in and in the correct positions, if not any new clutch will slip. We see it a lot in RGB when you change a clutch quickly, its easy to miss place the thin spacers.