Board logo

Engine mounting
Lander - 29/7/15 at 09:18 PM

I picked up a Zetec last weekend that had previously been mounted in an MK Indy and it had the engine mounts used previously still fitted. The offside mount is almost identical to the sizing of the Tiger Mounts and clearly sits on the metal plate on the offside of the engine bay.

My question is this : The near side engine mount is different and after a very quick measure looks as though it will sit nicely on the metal plate on the nearside that matches the offside one in the engine bay. However, in the Avon chassis there is a substantial plate welded in that projects into the engine bay that would be where the Tiger made zetec nearside mount would sit.
Therefore would the first flat plate on the nearside I mentioned be suitable to mount the engine on ?? It looks like the one on the offside.

I hope that makes sense, Ian.

melly-g - 29/7/15 at 10:18 PM

Yes!
If I have read it correctly. On mine the pinto mounts to the 2 plates welded opposite each other. With a zetec they use the plate mounted inside the inner rail. Is that what you meant?

[Edited on 29/7/15 by melly-g]

Lander - 30/7/15 at 05:56 AM

Thanks Melly that is exactly what I meant. Happy days, that saves me buying new mounts. Thanks

DJT - 30/7/15 at 05:10 PM

The forwardmost plate on the nearside is normally used for the Zetec. It hangs out over one chassis rail with no bracing and it WILL droop and possibly eventually break, if not first stressing your engine mount into breaking. If you can use the rearmost, which spans to chassis rails and I think was for the Pinto engine, that would be much better. I couldn't as that is where my starter is.

Also, I would be very cautious about using the Tiger engine mounts as they will fail in time. Mine were starting to, so made up something better: http://tigeravonbuilddiary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/upgraded-engine-mounts.html