Board logo

suspension measurements
furryeggs - 13/8/15 at 07:30 PM

Could someone with an Avon measure their suspension? The book shows pictures with front top wishbone ball joint wound all the way in, also the rear lower wishbone rose joints wound all the way in. I'll be fitting my suspension this week and would like it somewhere close to the correct position.

many thanks

neilp1 - 13/8/15 at 07:56 PM

Sorry I'm away so no access to car but I have wide track front wishbones and wound mine all the way in. Once build I checked chamber and made adjustments. With the rears I done similar

geoff82 - 14/8/15 at 11:05 AM

My Avon, front has 10 threads showing and rear none showing one side and 4 on the other side but has been a track car and had some damage in the past.
Front ball joints differ in length and amount of thread from different manufacturer.
Best bet would be use a spirit level against the wheel or hub to get it upright and go from there.

40inches - 14/8/15 at 11:45 AM

I don't have an Avon, but what I have noticed, is that they all seem to have no more than 40-50mm bump on the front shocks, looks very strange

furryeggs - 16/8/15 at 08:43 PM

According to the book the rear lower wishbones are approx 80mm from the back of the seat panel to the leading edge of the lower upright, with spacers to stop the rose joint moving. On my rear the rose joints are tight against the front of the bracket with 105mm and 90mm gaps. I cant get them anywhere near 80mm. Is this going to cause issues when setting up my rear? surely it'll start to effect where the wheel sits in relation to arches and shock positions.

furryeggs - 16/8/15 at 08:46 PM

I've double checked the orientation of the wishbones and they are correct with the weld marker to the rear.

Lander - 17/8/15 at 04:48 PM

I will double check when next in the garage but I think mine are hard up against the front of the bracket too from memory. I only have them mocked up though not tightened yet but it would suggest to me that is where they will sit.
Ian

Lander - 23/8/15 at 08:26 AM

Forgot I had a look, mine are sitting fairly central in the bracket.

furryeggs - 23/8/15 at 11:33 AM

Spoke to one of the guys at tiger on thursday becausemy springs were rubbing on the frame at the top, He said to pack out the bracket with 2 washer at the front to clear the frame anddouble check the uprights passenger side has a line welded, drivers side a dot welded. this was done but the bottom bones are at the back of the brackets still.

another call required i think