Board logo

Taking Sierra cv joints apart (how to)
locost7-online.com - 21/3/16 at 06:11 PM

Can someone confirm that the outer part of the cv joint needs tapping off the joint and just has an or ing in it? Hope that makes sence, need to get mine all apart for new boots and regrease

coozer - 21/3/16 at 07:44 PM

Bolt on shafts? They have a circlip from memory.

When I started with push in shafts I bought the kind of boots that stretch over a cone without taking them apart.

locost7-online.com - 21/3/16 at 08:31 PM

They are push in type, I want to clean and refurbish them I don't like the stretchy ones

loggyboy - 21/3/16 at 08:58 PM

To do job properly you need to cut off the can and replace can and boot in one go.
I have heard of people hammering off old cans but I found it impossible without damaging can so pointless making the extra effort when you can replace.

nick205 - 22/3/16 at 08:59 AM

With push-in shafts the correct way (as above) is to remove the metal can from over the joint and then dismantle the joint, clean the parts and fill with fresh grease. Fit a new set of bellows and then a new can, which needs to be peened closed over the joint. It's fiddly, but not hard and worth doing. When I did it I got kits from my local Ford dealer with new cans and bellows for around a tenner each IIRC.