Board logo

How do I get this off?
scudderfish - 22/6/19 at 03:16 PM

Rack Clamp
Rack Clamp

I want to replace the rubber doughnut. To this end I want to get the lower section of my steering column out as access is awkward. I've got the bolt out of the bit that clamps onto the rack input, but I can't get it to shift. It's currently soaking in WD40. I don't want to apply heat as there are lots of melty things around it. Any bright ideas?

Regards,
David

theconrodkid - 22/6/19 at 03:27 PM

try a screwdriver in the slot to spread the coupling a bit, you may need to pull the column up a bit as well to get the coupling out.

rusty nuts - 22/6/19 at 04:13 PM

Photo isn’t too clear but is it a Sierra column? If so undo the upper coupling (1 bolt then swivel the plate) that will allow the whole lower section to move upwards

scudderfish - 22/6/19 at 04:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Photo isn’t too clear but is it a Sierra column? If so undo the upper coupling (1 bolt then swivel the plate) that will allow the whole lower section to move upwards

I did that but it still seems stuck fast on the splines. I think I might just have to apply more violence with a screwdriver to ease it apart.

Benzine - 22/6/19 at 05:02 PM

I used a length of metal rod and managed to tap it with a hammer from the front of the car. All depends on whether your rad etc gets in the way though.

[Edited on 22-6-2019 by Benzine]

steve m - 22/6/19 at 05:09 PM

Ive used a ball joint spliter on my car before, similar to the attached

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Toolzone-8-Chrome-Plated-Short-Forked-Ball-Joint-Splitter/1736877381?iid=252276680021#UserReviews

scudderfish - 22/6/19 at 05:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. Once I knew it should come off, I went at it with a bit more vigor. I started off with a small crowbar and a piece of pipe to give it a bit more length, but that just started bending. So I cracked out my biggest crowbar.
Off
Off

A couple of heaves and it slid off Going to clean it very well and give it a coat of copper grease when it goes back together.

snapper - 23/6/19 at 06:04 AM

Personally I would use a lubricant to assemblage something you don’t want to come apart when moving at speed.
If you ever need to get it apart again you have mastered the technique