Board logo

WD40 is not a lubricant!
David Jenkins - 6/5/15 at 03:41 PM

Just picked this up from a different forum - I thought it was something worth preserving for those times when someone says "just squirt it with WD40"!

WD40

MP3C - 6/5/15 at 05:16 PM

quote:

Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.
Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40® stands for Water Displacement, WD-40® Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

From the WD40 website. I guess if it says multi-use on the can then its probably ok.

Matt

David Jenkins - 6/5/15 at 06:08 PM

As it says in that link - water is a lubricant, in certain situations - but you probably wouldn't want to use it to make your bearings work...

Any road up - I'm not a preacher, and everyone can do what they wish as long as it doesn't scare the horses...

whitestu - 6/5/15 at 06:20 PM

It might not be a very good lubricant, but by definition it is. Water is also a lubricant.

BenB - 6/5/15 at 09:21 PM

The long applicator is particularly good for catheter changes

Angel Acevedo - 6/5/15 at 09:57 PM

Being volatile don't expect the lubricant properties to last long.
I think a lot of us have witnessed that...

Mr Whippy - 7/5/15 at 11:32 AM

rubbish at stopping bare metal rusting too or helping free rusty bolts, gt85 is a lot better

loggyboy - 7/5/15 at 04:39 PM

From their own website.

A QUESTION OF LUBRICATION

Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40® stands for Water Displacement, WD-40® Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

Would be fairer to say its not a long term lubricant, or its not the best use for it.

[Edited on 7-5-15 by loggyboy]

David Jenkins - 7/5/15 at 06:30 PM

OK - I confess - I posted this as a troll, or wind-up. I have this tendency to say things that people often take too seriously, and usually they don't realise that I am a bit of a dead-pan mickey-taker.
I did guess that people would react one way or the other when they read it.

And, as a genuine personal statement about WD40, I would use it to clean off old gunk and rubbish, but I would never rely on it to either permanently prevent rust (it's OK for a short-term solution) or to keep something 'well oiled'. There are better substances to do each of those jobs.

It is a damn fine cutting lubricant when turning aluminium in the lathe though, especially the really chewy alloys that normally won't machine nicely without a fight...

[Edited on 7/5/15 by David Jenkins]