Board logo

Vinyl wrapping results
sprouts-car - 16/6/15 at 04:24 PM

Afternoon all,

Spent an enjoyable Saturday doing some vinyl wrapping.

Wrapped the bonnet, rear and sides (ie all the ali bits).
I'm very happy with the results, not bad for £60.

Description
Description

adamswifty - 16/6/15 at 05:07 PM

Nice job, what wrap did you use?

austin man - 16/6/15 at 06:51 PM

Black lol

adamswifty - 16/6/15 at 07:20 PM

, ok what brand!

bi22le - 16/6/15 at 07:33 PM

Looks good.

I am going to have to let you down gently. Once the sun hits the concave creases they will un stick.

Thats life. I have had to go through those tears!

Brian R - 16/6/15 at 09:27 PM

We wrapped a whole car recently. Nosecone was tricky but pleased with the results.

austin man - 16/6/15 at 09:43 PM

The 3m type seems to be the one that's raved about

Lander - 17/6/15 at 08:37 AM

They both look very good indeed.

sprouts-car - 17/6/15 at 08:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Looks good.

I am going to have to let you down gently. Once the sun hits the concave creases they will un stick.

What concave Creases?

Irony - 17/6/15 at 09:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Looks good.

If you are having this problem then you have probably used cheap vinyl wrapping material or the wrong technique. The vinyl when heated tries to return to its original state. You have stretched it into the concave corners and the vinyl shrinks and pulls away.

If I was vinyl wrapping my car I would use something by Hexis or Metamark. Metamarks 7 series CAST coloured vinyl costs £100 at 760mm for 15meters. Make sure you buy from a reputable company so you know what your getting.

When moulding into corners you need to heat the vinyl and smooth into the corners. When the vinyl is fully cooled you need to REHEAT it with a heatgun to set the vinyl. This should prevent it from pulling out in the future (if you have used conformable cast wrapping vinyl).

As a person who wraps semi-professionally (I have done 30-40 vans and cars) I am impressed with the images of your wraps. I will do my car after the IVA. I have been racking my brain on how to go about wrapping the nosecone in one seamless piece. My car is a Viento however and the nose and bonnet are huge.

Brian R - 20/6/15 at 08:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Irony

As a person who wraps semi-professionally (I have done 30-40 vans and cars) I am impressed with the images of your wraps. I will do my car after the IVA. I have been racking my brain on how to go about wrapping the nosecone in one seamless piece. My car is a Viento however and the nose and bonnet are huge.

With the nosecone we were going to cut a big square and start with it flat on the front rad opening and work it back from there but decided in the end to cut a long narrow strip and wrap it left to right if you see what I mean.

This left us with a join in the centre at the bottom of the nosecone which unless you look for it you can't really see it.

It took two or three of us probably three hours to get it how we wanted.

I don't know what make the vinyl was but it was good quality and not the cheap stuff.

The whole job isn't 100% but for our first car it came out good. The owner was very pleased so that's what counts.

radom - 20/6/15 at 11:13 AM

I wrapped my car 5 years ago using Oracal 970RA vinyl and it still sticks perfectly
I only have few wrinkles on the nosecone in the corners of the grill area because I started putting vinyl from the top

S_D_C_2000 - 10/11/15 at 08:07 PM

Really liking the through of wrapping my car but I am struggling to determine what constitutes good and bad quality vinyl. I bought some relativity cheap stuff from Ebay for a practice, and it don't appear to have had any issues. I assume therefore it is do do with how long it lasts?

Any thoughts ?

AndyW - 10/11/15 at 08:57 PM

I got mine from eBay. About 60 quid for the lot. It's been on all year in baking sun, torrential rain mud etc, cleaned and still the same colour if it does fade next year will just wrap it again in a different colour

james h - 10/11/15 at 10:02 PM

How deep can scratches go before they show through the wrap? I have many on my car (don't ask...) and I wondered about a wrap to hide them all. Some are worse than others.

Whitti_uk - 11/11/15 at 12:01 AM

Looks awesome! Makes me think that maybe not worrying about the colour combo of the cars I am looking at buying, knowing I can wrap it over winter in whatever I chose

Whitti_uk - 11/11/15 at 12:02 AM

How long did it take? And out of 10 what would you rate it for difficulty?