Board logo

Tips for building in a Single Garage?
Irony - 25/4/14 at 04:03 PM

My car has been in storage for four months whilst I move house and the missus has our first baby. Now things are settling down a bit I am bringing the car from the old end of terrace 2 bedroom house with a large single garage (10ft x 20ft) to a detached 3 bedroom bungalow with a normal small single garage (8ft x 16ft). The Viento is big at 6ft wide so it only leaves 2ft in width. I have put lots of shelves up above head height for storage, painted it and sorted the lighting.

The car is not that far from the IVA but does anyone have any good tips for building a car in a single garage?

[Edited on 25/4/14 by Irony]

daveb666 - 25/4/14 at 04:06 PM

Sit it on a platform that can be rolled about from one side to the other (that will give you 2 foot on the side you're working on).

mark chandler - 25/4/14 at 04:28 PM

Keep it rolling so you can push outside to work on easily or reposition ^^^ is a very good suggestion.
Do not fit wheel arches, external mirrors or windscreen, they take up a lot of room and will get scuffed.

It's a struggle for sure

coozer - 25/4/14 at 04:31 PM

Future proof it, make it a double!

pewe - 25/4/14 at 04:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by daveb666
Sit it on a platform that can be rolled about from one side to the other (that will give you 2 foot on the side you're working on).

Made myself one from an abandoned supermarket trolley (some kind student no doubt).
Chop the basket/handle off and lift the under-tray horizontal by angry grinding the sloping supports and then a couple of vertical pieces of 25mm SST welded in - job done.
Supported my CEC no probs and made it sooo much easier to work on.
DO NOT however reach/lie underneath it unless it's properly supported.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

chesney321 - 25/4/14 at 04:35 PM

hey that's massive compared to the shed I built my aries in.steve was shocked when he saw the size of it.my shed was only 6 feet wide and I had to take it apart to get car out.had to put wings on once outside.now I am building another in a shed that is 9 feet wide but only 12 feet long and seeing as car is 11 feet long I don't have much room at front or rear.when steve delivered this chassis he said I was a glutten for punishment but you have to make the best you can...

[Edited on 25/4/14 by chesney321]

Smoking Frog - 25/4/14 at 04:39 PM

I made two triangulated metal frames on wheels. A smooth floor is a must. Make sure the car can be safely lifted to the height of the stands.

Irony - 25/4/14 at 04:43 PM

I do regret leaving the old garage behind but I have to make some sacrifices for the nipper. I might save up for a extension of some sort but thats a few years away.

nick205 - 25/4/14 at 06:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by daveb666

Excellent suggestion. I'm working on restoring a Pug 205 body shell in my single garage. I made up a frame out of box section and 4 industrial castors (borrowed from work). The body shell is strapped on to keep it in place. It's the only way I can get access all around the shell and underneath.

jossey - 25/4/14 at 06:42 PM

find a trailer which will fit in your garage and leave it on the trailer. gives you the height you need and you can move it in and out when you need it.

James - 25/4/14 at 06:47 PM

Putting it on a skate is a great idea.

The longer you can leave wishbones off the better. Then definately don't put the wheels on until you have to as they';re hard work to step over!

Dick Axtell - 25/4/14 at 07:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Irony
The car is not that far from the IVA but does anyone have any good tips for building a car in a single garage?

Having done this myself, I would NOT recommend this route. However, as your're closer to the IVA test (I really hope so), you should be OK.

The restriction of available space to work around the car was very frustrating, and the smaller garage also reduces the light access, especially during darker days. If you have power nearby, this can be overcome. But reduced space may still be an issue.

Good luck with your progress towards IVA.

HowardB - 25/4/14 at 08:14 PM

I put mine on two bread trollies,.. low level dollies that are used for moving bread around,.. cheap (they were free) and move in all directions,.. made all the difference as it raised the car up by 6" as well.

S_D_C_2000 - 25/4/14 at 09:16 PM

May require a it of fabrication, but have seen set ups that allow the car to be rotated along its length

http://www.accessiblesystems.com/bul/4ke/4ked04.php

[Edited on 25/4/14 by S_D_C_2000]

[Edited on 25/4/14 by S_D_C_2000]

geoff shep - 25/4/14 at 09:32 PM

These are good - if not exactly lo-cost: Wheel Dollies