Board logo

engine trolley running?
swanny - 22/6/15 at 01:44 PM

hello all,

a mate has a an Oldsmobile engine that he's had under his bench for years and doesnt have a use for it.
nothing fancy just bog standard. i wondered about having it and getting it running as a demo engine on a wheeled trolley.
it wold be good as a project to do with the kids to get them to learn about engines and as space and money stop us from having a kit/interesting car at present it would be a good way to keep ourselves amused until things improve.

has anyone done this? or seen similar things done?

personally i recall seeing some of our american friends with a v8 loose in the back of a pick up revving that at a hot rod shop, occasionally throwing water on it to cool it! but i'd like something a bit more under control!

paul

big_wasa - 22/6/15 at 01:59 PM

I do that with all mine. I love the brum brum thing. Working on an Rv8 and a turbo Zetec at the moment.

Here is the last one I did an St170

big_wasa - 22/6/15 at 02:06 PM

And better still. ....

rusty nuts - 22/6/15 at 02:33 PM

One of our customers at a garage I used to work in had a Merlin engine like Guy Martins

blakep82 - 22/6/15 at 02:44 PM

Colleges all up and down the country with car workshops have an engine set up on a trolley for teaching, with a tiny fuel tank, batter, radiator, electric fan key switch and starter button set up

Oldaker - 22/6/15 at 04:21 PM

Used to use a bodyshop down in Hastings years ago - they had a Daf66 engine sitting on top of a 50gal oil drum. When asked about it, I was told it was their battery charger!