Board logo

Repairing cracked fibreglass
pekwah1 - 30/3/20 at 05:33 PM

Hi guys,

Just after some advice, I’m just prepping to repaint the car but I have stress cracks as pictured.
Any advice on how to repair this before painting to stop it just cracking again afterwards?

Thanks
Andy

jacko - 30/3/20 at 05:48 PM

There is only one way to repair cracks like them you will have to grind the gel coat right back to the fibreglass and then repair with resin and matting .
Sand back then repair with body filler rub down stopper if needed rub again and paint
Graham

40inches - 30/3/20 at 05:48 PM

Open the cracks down to the fibre with a Dremell or similar and use a Gelcoat repair kit.
I have used this one eBay Item

steve m - 30/3/20 at 06:10 PM

Andy,

Exactly what Jacko said, there isn't any other way, and even if you wra the car, you will still see these cracks, no matter what

steve

gremlin1234 - 30/3/20 at 07:55 PM

as above, you have to 'just do it properly' however, they will still return. you need to take some of the stress that caused them away. ie reinforce them with fibreglass, metal, or even wood!

AlexXtreme - 31/3/20 at 08:08 AM

Has anyone used this stuff or similar for composite repairs
https://www.u-pol.com/uk/en-uk/product/upol/fillers/special-surface-repairs/smc-carbon-fibre-reinforced-filler#.XoL6X6BKhPY
It looks as though it could be very useful for repairing cracks etc?

pekwah1 - 31/3/20 at 09:20 AM

Thanks all, thought it was be some matting and resin, will probably do both sides and sand

40inches - 31/3/20 at 11:44 AM

I followed this video,(bottom of the page) it worked very well https://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/product/gelcoat-repair-kit-golden-yellow

perksy - 31/3/20 at 07:15 PM

As above, this needs doing properly

Just drilling the end of the cracks, prepping the cracks and filling with gel coat won't work, You'll still see that its cracked
(It'll work as a temporary fix)

Your issue will be getting a paint match

Even replacement bonnets etc from the manufacturers can end up being different shades due to variations in the gel coat colour

Mate lost the bonnet on his Westfield on the A5 and it landed on the road after missing 2 other cars
He ended up repairing it and having it Carbon wrapped and its looks very good