Thinking of getting a tiger avon, first kit car
what are they like to build, are the good quality kit
what would you recommend to use engine etc
any help would be great
thanks

[Edited on 9/6/14 by 65ck]

Cordell

posted on 9/6/14 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, welcome to the forum. Although I'm quite new myself.

I myself have an Avon, with the GTA body. All in all I think it's a fantastic bit of kit and they seem to be extremely reliable. The support offered by Tiger Racing in Wisbeach is superb and they are a great bunch of people to deal with.

The Avon has a proven track record in racing and they hold their own against other much more expensive kit cars on the track, if you know what I mean, and for the price I think they are a very competitive kit.

From a build perspective I'm led to believe the quality of the kits is quite good, but in terms of the fitting of the grp, not the best. I can't really comment though as I didn't build mine, but the builder has done an amazing job with mine, everything lines up very well etc. and the quality of the grp is excellent.

Engine wise, if I were to build one I would probably go for a ford duratec, mated to a 6 speed mazda mx5 mk3 box with a mazda lsd diff (although not sure if the mazda diff fits or not). I'm running a 143 bhp mx5 1.8 engine, using standard ingnition and an mx5 5 speed box with a sierra 7" non lsd diff. Works very well, but I feel it lacks a little top end. The 2.0l zetec package that Tiger offer would be a good choice though too.

To sum up, I think you would be making a good choice in choosing the Avon as they represent a very capable kit for a build cost of around 8-9k (obviously depending on spec) which is pretty reasonable compared to the others currently available..

e. Oh, go for the GTA!

[Edited on 9/6/14 by Cordell]

JacksAvon

posted on 10/6/14 at 01:30 AM Reply With Quote
65ck.

put your location on here.

you may find Avon owners on here near you.

I have owned severalkit/race cars and have come back to an Avon

Jim, Paul and Laura at Tiger are gret to deal with.

Give them a call.

http://tigerracing.com
http://www.tigerownersclub.co.uk

wombat

posted on 10/6/14 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hi, Im still building (4 years so far) and have recently fitted the new Mk11 body without any real issues.
Ive not taken the full kit route from tiger due to budget/cost and it being planned as a long term project anyway.

I purchased a powdercoated chassis with suspension fitted at the start and have used various suppliers (including this forum) for various parts.

However I have found for several parts Tiger offer the best deal.

Like JacksAvon, I have always found them to be very helpful and accomodating.

As said, post your location, it might help.

neilp1

posted on 10/6/14 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
I'm on my second. I bought the first built and I'm nearly finished this one. I'm a bit over budget at £13000 but I've gone duratec which has just been rolling roaded at 190bhp. I just need to get it through the IVA now.

I have no doubt there are better kits out there, but I like the Avon and others have said Tiger racing are very helpful.
MK2 body work fitted without problems!

Ian D

posted on 10/6/14 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
I bought mine as a turn key set of parts from Tiger. Prior to buying I visited the factory and they were very helpful. During the build I had a problem with the manifold and Tiger again helped me.

Having owned and driven the car for 4 years I have enjoyed owning it. Its been reliable and passes the MOT no problem.

The reason I chose the turn key kit was to minimise any integration issues.

I have numerous pictures on here for you to see. Best of luck with your choice and build.

Ian

matthew slade

posted on 11/6/14 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Avon

Great cars, the team at Tiger are really helpful as are all the other owners, there is a Tiger Owners Club Forum, if you haven't found that yet. There are also lots of build blogs to give you ideas on what to do.

In my opinion, stick with a simple Ford Zetec lump, cheap to run and simple to maintain, plus you can still get crate engines at reasonable price.

If you were nearer I would say come over and take a look. If you go on the Tiger Forum, there are regional clubs, so I am sure you will find some local to offer advice and support.

65ck

posted on 21/6/14 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys for your help
Tiger Avon on its way, pick it up 1st july ish

matthew slade

posted on 23/6/14 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Congratulations, and welcome to the club!
velocitykendal

posted on 23/6/14 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
Congrats on getting an Avon, they're a great first kit.

I ran a tuned Zetec Avon for a few years knocking out about 200BHP. I took it out most weekends all year round and drove it with "enthusiasm", it was worked pretty hard. As such I got to work through a few inherent issues of which I'll briefly mention as I think they're pertinent to pre-build considerations.

- Make sure you strengthen the nearside engine mounting plate with fillets underneath and any other bracing, it will likely fail at some point in the car's life otherwise.

- Consider having some custom engine mounts made for your choice of powerplant, or have the Tiger ones strengthened either side with fillets prior to fitting.

- Personally I would look to build an Avon with wide-track front wishbones (see Tiger Owners forum) rather than the standard Tiger supplied ones. In reality the standard ones are fine for general road use but if you ever get to push the car hard on corners on a trackday or suchlike then you may experience understeer which can be difficult to dial out with the default setup.

- If you go down something like the Zetec/Type 9 route you will need a gear lever extension which you can get from Rally Designs. Depending on your dash design you may be able to get away with this and a bent lever however it is possible clearance could still be an issue in which case the extension will need to be cut and lengthed with some extending pieces welded in.

Happy building

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.