Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Newbie Questions avon fireblade
TigerBlade

posted on 16/9/15 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Newbie Questions avon fireblade

hi all..
great forum- been routing through for about two weeks..

ive bought a tiger avon with the fireblade engine and love it to bits (when dry weather)

but i do have some really interesting questions:-

1 drive train clunk during shifting- wowee ive read its normal and seen some you tube videos and it does seem to be something to live with but im concerned mine is a bit excessive- anyone in plymouth wouldnt mind lending an ear to it? for beer tokens

2 brakes- mainly discs, they are rusty as it was built in 2009 and had only 1500 miles use so looking at changing them to 'sexie' them up, but what are they? i have discs front and rear non vented- will be looking to buy vented and grooved front and rear.

3 camber and toe in etc- it drives really good but id like to take it to a local place (gupa p if your local) and get it perfect- good idea? not worth it? i did find the previous owner had adjusted the rear shocks wrong and it was pushing me to the right under power- hadnt take into account the clockwise and anitclockwise effect of them bieng on different sides lol.. but ok now.

4 stering boss- bought myself a quick release boss but need a fitting to go onto the column (so i can take wheel of for security ( and as im fat getting in and out)) lols.....so looking for advice there too..

really sorry for this many questions, but want to get her just right!

thanks

paul.

[Edited on 16/9/15 by TigerBlade]

ps- how to upload a picture???????

Tiger with fireblade engine. looking to make it perfect!

adithorp

posted on 16/9/15 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Wecome to the forum and BECs

1. Yes, they are clucky on changes. Solid mounted diffs tend to do that and the lash and lack of flywheel in the BEC makes it worse. Have you got a TRT prop shaft as that will reduce it? It'll get less noticable as you get used to it and better at the gear changes; Are you changing up without the clutch, as thats smoother once you get the technique?

2. Given the light weight of most BECs, vented discs aren't needed (less wieght to stop means less heat produced). Vented discs are just extra unsuspended mass, plus you'd need the change calipers as well. By all means go for the bling grooves if you must.

3. You need to hear from the Avon experts but I'd guess... front: 0-1/2 degree toe/out to preference. Rear 0-1/2 deg toe in. 1/2-1 deg neg camber all round.

4. did the boss not come with a shaft mount? What make is it?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

DJT

posted on 16/9/15 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

The front is Cortina Mk3/5 and the rear is Sierra. Mine has solid front discs with EBC Green pads and 9" drums at the rear. I've never had much problem with the brakes, except at Llandow with the large deceleration before the bus stop after multiple (short) laps and when 2-up driving fast down the Black Forest Mountains. Both are extreme scenarios and for more general use I think my set up is more than adequate. I've thought about vented at the front, but dismissed it due to the weight penalty and the marginal benefit for the cost.

I've got -2 degree camber front and -1 rear. Front are 1 or 2 degrees toe in and the rears are currently 0 degrees toe in. Castor is fixed. Aside from applying these settings one of the biggest improvements to handling came when I raised the rear a little. It's not yet been corner weighted, but hopefully will soon.

David.

http://tigeravonbuilddiary.blogspot.com/

TigerBlade

posted on 16/9/15 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
cheers guys..

steering boss- nope just the QR adapter, need to find a boss- assuming its a sierra. its a hexagonal shape.

trt shaft- just googles and that's not easy to find....any one know where?

ok, im going to just replace discs as is, it does stop well so ill stick with standard, cheers

so just a suspension set up and to find an elusive trt shaft this week then.........

thanks

Johneturbo

posted on 16/9/15 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
N to 1st gear will always clunck even my road bike does, but as has been said once you get use to changing gear without the clutch you can make them seamless, just practice

TRT prop is torque resilient tube, its tube sandwiched with rubber to absorb some of the harshness

tones61

posted on 16/9/15 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TigerBlade
hi all..

ive bought a tiger avon with the fireblade engine and love it to bits (when dry weather)

1 drive train clunk during shifting- wowee ive read its normal and seen some you tube videos and it does seem to be something to live with but im concerned mine is a bit excessive- anyone in plymouth wouldnt mind lending an ear to it? for beer tokens

2 brakes- mainly discs, they are rusty as it was built in 2009 and had only 1500 miles use so looking at changing them to 'sexie' them up, but what are they? i have discs front and rear non vented- will be looking to buy vented and grooved front and rear.

3 camber and toe in etc- it drives really good but id like to take it to a local place (gupa p if your local) and get it perfect- good idea? not worth it? i did find the previous owner had adjusted the rear shocks wrong and it was pushing me to the right under power- hadnt take into account the clockwise and anitclockwise effect of them bieng on different sides lol.. but ok now.

4 stering boss- bought myself a quick release boss but need a fitting to go onto the column (so i can take wheel of for security ( and as im fat getting in and out)) lols.....so looking for advice there too..

thanks

paul.

hi mate,im in plym,an mot tester/vehicle tech,

run a dax quadra/cossie,pm or text/u2u msg,

i will pm u my moby no,

tones,:-)

TigerBlade

posted on 16/9/15 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Awesome guys,

ill ring you tom tones.

heres a picture for yo all...........

rm0rgan

posted on 16/9/15 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome mate

That car was built by my mate (Andrew Carwithan) who built and sold it about a year later.

Theres a Facebook group called South West Tiger Owners club where he still posts - he went to Le Mans with me and a few other mates a few years back and im sure he would answer any build related questions for you :-)

I had a BEC Furyblade for a few years and always had a clunk when selecting 1st gear if I had been idling in neutral. It also clunked more from 1st to 2nd as you are going across neutral to get there - from 2nd onwards I used to do clutchless changes (just lift of slightly and pull back on the lever) but coming down the box used the clutch.

Worth checking periodically that the the prop adaptor is done up tight as if this comes loose it makes a bloody awful noise!

[Edited on 16/9/15 by rm0rgan]

[Edited on 17/9/15 by rm0rgan]

Sigs are uncool.

andrew.carwithen

posted on 17/9/15 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
It is indeed my old car.
So any questions just fire away.
The brakes are bog standard Cortina solid discs and calipers up front with Sierra rear discs and calipers on the back. Being such a light car didn't really feel the need for anything more powerful.
The prop is a standard two-piece and does not have the TRT and this along with the fact the engine and diff are solid mounted in the chassis is the reason the year change is so clunky. Fitting a TRT prop would definitely improve the gear change.
Engine is from AB Performance as is the cable gear change assembly so has a really good pedigree! I drove it from Plymouth to Stoneleigh with no problems (Andy Bates set up the corner weighting at the show)
There's plenty of build photos in my archive.
Where about in Plymouth are you?
Would love to see her again!

Andy.

tones61

posted on 27/9/15 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TigerBlade
hi all..

thanks

paul.

pmd you paul,,,tones :-)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.