Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Avon Zetec engine height
Lander

posted on 9/5/16 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Avon Zetec engine height

This may sound like an odd question. I bought zetec engine and gearbox from a member on here and it came with engine mounts that fitted perfectly onto the mounting points on my Avon chassis. I am now fitting the bodywork to my Avon and when I trialled the bonnet it wont clear the air filter. I think it will have clearance for the engine though if it wasn't being held up in the filter.

Therefore could someone measure the height of the zetec against the chassis toprail to see if I have got it mounted too high? Maybe a straight edge across the cam covers and then measure the distance to the top side rail will suffice.

Thanks as always in anticipation for the help.

Ian

wombat

posted on 9/5/16 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Silver or black top?
Can measure in about 15 mins

wombat

posted on 9/5/16 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
I have 150mm on Silvertop.
PM me your mobile number and I will send some pictures later.

Lander

posted on 9/5/16 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, sorry it is a blacktop are they different sizes ?
Schrodinger

posted on 10/5/16 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think that any tiger was designed to take the Zetec complete with the ford air filter without cutting a hole in the bonnet .

Keith
Aviemore

Lander

posted on 10/5/16 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Keith. It came with an aftermarket airfilter but is a fair way off fitting. Having looked at others Avon's not many have holes cut out of the bonnet hence my desire to see how high most sit.

Ian

adampage

posted on 11/5/16 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
If you look on google images....

...and search for zetec engine tiger avon, every photo I can see has either carbs or throttle bodies fitted side-draft, so the highest point is the cam cover.

I can't see anyone with the higher intake/filter. So you're right that you don't see people with cuts in their bonnets, but I think that's because people change their intakes.

You might be able to get a lower profile filter so have a smaller hole, or maybe reroute the plumbing so the filter sits lower, but for standard bonnet, I don't think it'll fit perfectly without side-draft carbs or throbble botties.

(or should've added, get a sausage-shaped plenum so the filter is at one end).

Good luck though!

Ad

[Edited on 11/5/16 by adampage]

PaulML

posted on 19/5/16 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Similar issue with Locost Black Top install

Hi guys.

Sorry for butting in on this thread, but we have a similar issue with our Locost ex race car.

We bought this after its retirement from the track and removed the original crossflow opting for a black top with R1 carbs.

After doing all the sump, alternator, starter mods etc, we've now offered the complete engine (with Type 9) assembly into the car.

Our issue is that there is no way it seems to get the engine low enough to be able to fit the original bonnet and nose. The engine, at it lowest possible position, is still a good 2.5 inches higher than the the nose and bonnet will allow.

So, does this sound right? And, is the best option to completely redesigned the bonnet/nose to accommodate the cam cover and belt cover?
I'm thinking of cutting the appropriate and then reshaping a bulge to clear the higher engine position because I can't see any other option?

Any help or advice, or reassurance, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank in advance guys.

Paul

PaulML

posted on 19/5/16 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
Further to above, I forgot to mention that we have fitted a Dunnell sump to this which may well have increased the overall height of the engine assembly.
I'm looking for a little reassurance I guess.
:-)

Cheers

Paul

Schrodinger

posted on 20/5/16 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
How low have you fitted the engine?
The bottom of the sump will need to be below the bottom chassis rail, with probably no more than a couple of inches ground clearance.

Keith
Aviemore

PaulML

posted on 20/5/16 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that Keith.
At the moment, the sump is only about quarter of an inch below the front chassis rail.
We're struggling to get it any lower because the bellhousing/starter joint won't pass the nearside chassis rail.
Hope that makes sense?
Cheers.
😊

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.