Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What a load of........................
starterman

posted on 26/8/17 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
What a load of........................

...............rubbish.

Spent all day trying to fit the main tub onto my Avon chassis and I have to say that the quality of the panels is really really poor.

At the moment I wouldn't recommend Tiger to my worst enemy. Thoroughly disappointed in their quality and amazed that they have been going so long.

chris

posted on 26/8/17 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
i think the key words with any kit build is many hours of fettling good luck with your build
furryeggs

posted on 26/8/17 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Mine hasn't been to bad, there is a lot of trimming in places and the boot is about is a million miles off square. The bottom edge is flush tight against the bottom rail at the front behind the suspension and where the arches meet the tub , but under the middle about level with the scuttle I have a 4-5mm gap.
I've packed some interior surfaces with a thick rubber to take up some of the gaps to minimise any flexing and cracking.

I was expecting to have to do a lot of fettling as my bodywork was a mixed matched set, I was always going to be painting it so this didn't bother me to much as I could rectify any issues before paint.
If i had paid full price for the bodywork in tigers gelcoat finish i would be pissed off.

jrod

posted on 26/8/17 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
I think the term "Kit car" is slightly misleading. They are not just kits that you put together and voila.

They are building blocks, that with lots of love, attention and hard work you can build you own car.

CosKev3

posted on 26/8/17 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
The big raised seam near the bottom of the sidepanels always makes me wince on Tigers bodywork

Looks like a join or something in the mould.

starterman

posted on 26/8/17 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
I've built a few cars now and for gel coat panels these are the worst I've seen. I'm more than prepared to do what ever but thought i'd just have a bit of a vent on here
CosKev3

posted on 26/8/17 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
They should fit with slight fettling from a long running company like Tiger IMO
ianhurley20

posted on 26/8/17 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
I am building one with a friend and we had to cut 30mm down the center of the rear body tub panel to get it to fit - oh and a load of other bits needed loads of fettling - oh and the expensive manual is wrong in several places (particularly the rear wishbone set up) ( and the revised version as well) and ........

I am really glad I didn't choose Tiger

jossey

posted on 18/9/18 at 01:21 AM Reply With Quote
If its an issue contact tiger and let them know.

No body panels fit easy. They are all a pain to fit. Especially opening them to slide on the front chassis rails. I heated mine on the inside a little to help them move but still had issue.

Sorry for ye issues though.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 18/9/18 at 06:09 AM Reply With Quote
my first kit car when I was 15 was a beach buggy, a twisted half finished shell on a rotten chassis in a barn full of sheep...you have it easy
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 18/9/18 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure I've read others on here unhappy with the Avon bodywork - some modifying it to make it fit, including narrowing one of the rear wheel arches.

I built an MK Indy myself. The GRP was OK, but took me longer than I planned to fit. There was an annoying change from round to square profile between the rear tub and the side panels, but I ended up making some vinyl trim parts to hide that in the end. Part of building a car really.

steve m

posted on 18/9/18 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
A guy up the road from mine built a Tiger back around 2002-2003 ish, I did give him a hand as he was clueless,

But when he put all the panels on, MY GOD IT WAS AWFUL ! it would of looked better putting Tiger panels on a Cobra chassis

His car stayed on his front garden under a tarp. for years and I never found out were it is now,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.