Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Petrol company boycott - please read
Jasper

posted on 27/5/04 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Petrol company boycott - please read

Subject: FW: Campaign to Reduce UK Petrol Prices - a rip-off at 80p a litre

> We are going to hit close to 89p a litre by the summer.
> Want petrol prices to come down? We need to take some intelligent,
> united action.
>
> Philip Hollsworth offered this good idea:
> This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain
> day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies
> just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt
> ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience
> to us than it was a problem for them.
>
>
> BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can
> really work. Please read it and join in!
>
> Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to
> think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP at 77p -80p, we need to take
> aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace not
> sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers
> need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of
> petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing
> their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the
> idea:
>
> For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two
> biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP. If they are not
> selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If
> they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.
>
> But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Esso and
> BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me
> at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach
> millions of people!!
>
> I am sending this note to a; lot of people. If each of you send it to
> at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten
> more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches
> the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION
> consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten
> friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it
> goes one level further, you guessed it... .. THREE HUNDRED MILLION
> PEOPLE!!! Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's
> all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us
> sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all
> 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8
> days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential,
> did you! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to
> you, please pass this message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR
> PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE
>
> Action:
> It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy
> your petrol at Shell, Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons (75p)Jet etc. i.e.
> boycott BP and Esso.

mackie

posted on 27/5/04 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hehe, nice idea. I only buy from shell anyway, although optimax is now taking the wee price-wise.
JoelP

posted on 27/5/04 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
im on it jasper, bloody good idea. EVERYONE FORWARD IT TO ALL OTHER FORUMS!!!!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Mark H

posted on 27/5/04 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like a plan, except that the petrol co's would be losing 10p a litre at 69p a litre (or thereabouts).

Why should the govt. get away with taxing us up to the plus 80p level?

W@nkers

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

stephen_gusterson

posted on 27/5/04 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
remember to show your distaste at the european elections.......

atb

steve

[Edited on 27/5/04 by stephen_gusterson]

andyps

posted on 27/5/04 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
I'm for this, but we also have to hit the government who make loads more everytime the price goes up - remeber that for any 10p price rise it includes VAT at 17.5% to Gordon.

If you think petrol is expensive, have you ever bought bottled water from a garage and thugh abuot how much that costs compared to the fuel? It comes straight out of the ground, is bottled. Petrol is refined and taxed to the hilt.

I'm not defending the oil companies here, just that the largest portion of the price is tax (and I know we are allsupposed to benefit from that, but how much of our tax was spent blowing up Iraq on behalf of the US companies who will get to rebuild it) so we should get that reduced.

Rant over.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

David Jenkins

posted on 27/5/04 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
If they didn't get the tax from petrol/diesel they'd take it from somewhere else...

Not supporting them - just an observation.

David

posted on 27/5/04 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
It all depends who you want to hurt i guess.
It's the gov. who takes the biggest part so if you wonna get back on the gov. you only can do one thing and that is drive less.Sad but so, it is.
If it's the oil co than there is an easy alternative.
Think about the problems they will run into when everybody fills his tank for only one third instead of the full treatment!
They will have the triple amount of work to sell the same amount of fuel and they will run into storage problems.
At this moment we storage millions of gallons of fuel for them for energy we only intend to use the next week or two.
Just my opinion though!

Spyderman

posted on 27/5/04 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
That is a rather naive plan that would only backfire.

There are only a few Fuel refiners of which BP/Esso and Shell are the major players. These refiners then sell the petrol on to other companies to retail.
By boycotting their filling stations all they do is close them down, thus reducing costs and continue to sell to the other retailers. Their sales will not change as the fuel is still being bought, but from different outlets.

Notice how many Shell stations there are lately after their major closing? They must have cut down the number of filling stations by 30%. Yet they still survive.

There are still more cars going onto the roads daily and these have to be supplied.

The only thing that has made any impression on the companies or government was the blockade a few years back.

Unfortunately passive protests just don't do anything! Just look at the French protests and remember that they know how to get what they want, regardless of whether we agree with them or not!

Think about it!

Terry

Spyderman

stephen_gusterson

posted on 27/5/04 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyps
I'm for this, but we also have to hit the government who make loads more everytime the price goes up - remeber that for any 10p price rise it includes VAT at 17.5% to Gordon.

actually, its worse than that. there is a fuel tax thats approx 80 PER CENT of the price - its not a simple vat thing

atb

steve

ps

you can get your own back by making your next car diesel. it will use less fuel and if its a co car, you will pay less tax if its euro 4.

gordon brown will be getting 100 quid less tax from me than he did last month now I have my new car...

[Edited on 27/5/04 by stephen_gusterson]

andkilde

posted on 27/5/04 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
We have these "oil strike" notices go around quite a bit in North America.

All it really gives is an illusion of control over an impossible situation -- a day or two of sales blipping up and down won't even register with folks who have pockets deep enough to house all of our politicians.

Truth is, we're all hurt by being tied to the oil-based energy market. And the folks who offer up logical alternatives get marginalized as wingnuts.

I'm going to be investigating Propane or Natural Gas power for my toy once it's running. I'm still not sold on electric cars as you still need to burn something, somewhere to make the sparks, though there are some really cool electric hot-rods out there. Fuel Cell technology is a fools game, you need bags of electricity to produce the Hydrogen and there are huge infrastructure costs to compress, transport and deliver, even if it works it will turn into another semi-monopoly deal between government and the oil companies.

Technology WILL save us -- but it will happen in our backyards, not the boardrooms.

Alright, now where did i leave my tin-foil hat...

Cheers, Ted

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

posted on 27/5/04 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Every action you gonna take is going to backfire,no doubt about that!
That blockade surely did help... for a while!
If they keep closing down stations are we supposed to get the fuel directly on the well soon?
Those actions are only taken to make a point clear but in the end the gov allways wins.

Peteff

posted on 27/5/04 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
We'll have to do what the chavs do and go without road tax and stuff as we can't afford that and fuel and it won't go without the fuel .

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

gjn200

posted on 27/5/04 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Subject: FW: Campaign to Reduce UK Petrol Prices - a rip-off at 80p a litre

> Action:
> It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy
> your petrol at Shell, Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons (75p)Jet etc. i.e.
> boycott BP and Esso.

Err thats a least a 25 mile round trip compared to 1/2, that makes a lot of sense. And why not shell? Its the same price round here.

<- Me!

JamJah

posted on 27/5/04 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
a) BP and Esso are still seperate companies.

b) anyone heard of that well known oil platform Sainsbury's Brent? where do you think they get it from. I live near a Esso refinery and its not only esso who use it. BP, texaco, in fact most pertol for the south/ southwest.

best thing to do is to stop paying the tax! thats the majority of the pump price anyway!

JamJah

posted on 27/5/04 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
opps wanted email notification!
I love speed :-P

posted on 27/5/04 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
the easiest way, is 2 do what some car comps have done, which is 2 make cars run on water, simple really, solar panel gives of dc electricory which then run though water give o2 and h2 of, at the cathode and anode, but these 2 gaes though the engine, they burn and get h2o out of the engine, and then stick this water back into the fueltank, to be converted into h2 and o2, you would only need 2 fill up every 1000 miles 2 filter out the system.

But this would not happen, cus petrol companies by these pantents so they control the market, and when the oil runs out, they will produce all these products they have stollen

sry 4 the spelling mistakes,

Phil

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 27/5/04 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I love speed :-P
the easiest way, is 2 do what some car comps have done, which is 2 make cars run on water, simple really, solar panel gives of dc electricory which then run though water give o2 and h2 of, at the cathode and anode, but these 2 gaes though the engine, they burn and get h2o out of the engine, and then stick this water back into the fueltank, to be converted into h2 and o2, you would only need 2 fill up every 1000 miles 2 filter out the system.

But this would not happen, cus petrol companies by these pantents so they control the market, and when the oil runs out, they will produce all these products they have stollen

sry 4 the spelling mistakes,

Phil

not that easy fella! takes too much solar power to seperate the water to have them mounted on a car, plus the efficiency would be higher if you just used solar panels to turn electric motors.

water splitting is only economical if the water is split en masse at a power station, and then supplied either as a fuel or in fuel cells that directly 'burn' it into electricity and water.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

andyps

posted on 27/5/04 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
quote:
Originally posted by andyps

actually, its worse than that. there is a fuel tax thats approx 80 PER CENT of the price - its not a simple vat thing

atb

steve

Steve - I know that, my point is that on September 1st we a re due a 2p rise per litre as announced in the budget, but with the increase in the prices (which have happened due to the somehow legal cartel called opec) since the budget the chancellor has nearly got the 2p in VAT increase, let alone the extra revenue from North Sea oil.

[Edited on 27/5/04 by andyps]

Andy

RoadkillUK

posted on 27/5/04 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
I run a diesel Xantia, what I want to know is why does my diesel cost MORE that petrol, 10 years ago it was much cheaper because not that many cars ran on diesel, but since their popularity the prices were hiked up to above the price of petrol. Why am I paying more money for a less refined product?

That's it, I'm saving my chip fat !!

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

stephen_gusterson

posted on 27/5/04 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
cos more people were using it.

the chancellor has stated for years that if LPG caught on big time, tax would be upped on it. So, converting to gas is no guarnatee of cheap fuel.

Diesel in milton keynes tesco is almost 84p - and I bought bp ultimate diesel for 90p a litre last week in northants - or at least my company did

atb

steve

Surrey Dave

posted on 28/5/04 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
What about his for a radical idea, the government has declared war on the motorist,and would like us to use public transport.

If we conformed to their wishes en masse and all used public transport the infrastructure could not cope delays would be massive and the cost to the country would be huge in lost working hours, the fuel companies would sell No fuel ,the government would get No tax from fuel.

Declare our vehicles SORN (off the road) and cash in our tax discs..

But we would be doing the right thing and following government wishes.

I'm not a lover/user of any public transport but I would stand in a bus queue with a huge grin on my face in these circumstances....................

andyps

posted on 28/5/04 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Surrey Dave
What about his for a radical idea, the government has declared war on the motorist,and would like us to use public transport.

If we conformed to their wishes en masse and all used public transport the infrastructure could not cope delays would be massive and the cost to the country would be huge in lost working hours, the fuel companies would sell No fuel ,the government would get No tax from fuel.

Declare our vehicles SORN (off the road) and cash in our tax discs..

But we would be doing the right thing and following government wishes.

I'm not a lover/user of any public transport but I would stand in a bus queue with a huge grin on my face in these circumstances....................

This is about the only way - it doesn't need to be a long term thing. Just a single "pro car" day where we show the government and all those who say we should not have the personal freedom of a car that the country could not function without them. Even the loss of fuel revenue for one day would harm the chancellors calculations.

Andy

mad4x4

posted on 28/5/04 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Some of you have it all wrong.

We need a way to target the government, and get the oil companies behind the motorist. If we didn;t have the fuel duty on our fuel from the government then we would have some of the cheapest fuel in Europe.

Up hear in the North East (Scotland) most or at least a lot of people work for oil companies. If we force them to cut the price more - they just pay off more staff.

The "Cashing in the Tax Disc or SORN your vehicle" idea would nearly work, but you would just get fined.........

We need to hit the govenment where it hurts IN THE POCKET

[Edited on 28/505/04 by mad4x4]

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

stephen_gusterson

posted on 28/5/04 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
My son brought home a leaflet from school - it details government tax in, and money out.

There is basically about 38 billion shortfall.

They need to make the money somehow, and if it dont go on fuel, it will go somewhere else.

tax raises about 130billion, NI contributiona sbaout 75b, and indirect stuff like car taxes about another 75b. Vat was a bit over 100b I think.

fuel could be cheaper, but expect 25% vat on everything else.

In denmark, for example, vat is 25% and top rate tax 58% - not inc NI. You go on top rate about same as our 40%.

atb

steve

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.