Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Twin 40DCOE to Bike Carbs
brianl0922

posted on 28/6/11 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Twin 40DCOE to Bike Carbs

I have a Fury with Silvertop Zetec 1800 on twin 40DCOE's and was going to install a Megajolt Kit. But on reading numerous post I am now considering going to Bike Carbs. My question is, if I bought a complete bike carb kit what else would I have to do to get them working and what sort of power increase could I expect?
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 28/6/11 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Personally, I'd stick with the DCOE's!

I'll probably get shot down for this, but here's my thinking; they're tried and tested, and have been around longer than the bike carbs on a car engine idea. And having had a car on Webbers previously, I've found out since doing my build using a zetec and bike carbs that DCOE's appear (on face value) more widely available to have setup on rolling roads through organisations.

I think the idea of bike carbs really came round as an alternative to Webbers/Dellorto's etc. as the can potentially be installed for a lot less cost, and are becomming more widely available. If you're handy with a welder an inlet manifold can be made cheaply rather than buying a specific inlet for DCOE's for an engine.

I couldn't comment on the power side of things, mind, so I'm expecting someone else to come back and say which ones they think can be more fruitful overall.

I've known people with 7's who have upgraded to Megajolt from older setups and kept DCOE's who have had a noticable difference in the drive on their cars, so perhaps you may want to consider that route before chaging your fuelling system!

2p added, expecting change....

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

mcerd1

posted on 28/6/11 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brianl0922
....what sort of power increase could I expect?

next to nothig if your webbers are setup properly at the moment....

the bike carbs might save you a little fuel, but they arn't any more powerful - so no need to change from DOCE's, just add the TPS and plug in the megajolt

if you did fit bike carbs you'd need to sort out a manifold, airfilter/airbox, a fuel pump and some time on a rolling road to jet them properly

for the manifold someone like fastdan: http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/
or bogg bros: http://www.boggbros.co.uk/ (very nice but not as cheap)

for the airfilter you can either fit a foam sausage type one, or make an airbox that connects to a cone filter

for teh fuel pump the bike carbs don't like too much fuel so one from a carb'd bike is best (and cheapest) the ZX6R / ZX9R's have nice little external ones

(the DOCE's seem to sell quite well at the moment, so that might even cover most of the costs )

[Edited on 28/6/2011 by mcerd1]

-

brianl0922

posted on 28/6/11 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, I did wonder if the bike carbs would give more power but if its as small increase its just worth it. I'll just get a Megajolt Kit and get it tuned on a rolling road.

PS anyone know if there is a good rolling road in Aberdeen area?

Cheers

Brian

mark chandler

posted on 28/6/11 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
You could go for a half way house that would be very effective, twin DCOE's are already throttle bodies, remove the chokes and blank fuel holes then add some injectors into the manifold.

You can buy plugs to weld in, get someone like flack monkey to make up the bits.

Regards Mark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.