Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2007 fiesta TDCI
Ian D

posted on 1/11/12 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
2007 fiesta TDCI

Guys,

My daugthers fiesta when warm is very difficult to change gear. When cold its ok. Does anyone have any experience of views please. She has had the gearbox oil changed.

Thanks

Ian

Ninehigh

posted on 1/11/12 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Oddly enough I had the opposite problem in my mondeo, it was difficult when cold and easier when warm.

I think we need more info, like has this been since the oil change? Sounds to me something like the gears become too close when warm... But it's possibly more the linkages

nick205

posted on 2/11/12 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
Gear change usually improves with temperature. Is it cable clutch? Cables can suffer from temperature, 306'a suffered on RHD models as the cable ran close to the exhaust and dried out.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 2/11/12 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Have they used the correct oil, I had a similar thing with my renault master van, took it in for a service, they topped up the gearbox oil with standard gearbox oil only about 500ml, the next morning I could not select gears without crunching them, I took it back they then changed it all with the correct synthetic grade which sorted the problem.
Peteff

posted on 2/11/12 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Is it cable and is the cable adjuster working ?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Ian D

posted on 3/11/12 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
I cant see the car as she has it away at present. Everything Im reading says the clutch is hydrualic. My thought was around low clutch fluid it vapourising when hot and so losing pressure.
adithorp

posted on 3/11/12 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ian D
I cant see the car as she has it away at present. Everything Im reading says the clutch is hydrualic. My thought was around low clutch fluid it vapourising when hot and so losing pressure.

The clutch fluid is fed from the brake resevoir and the take off is lower than the point at which the level warning light comes on. If the warning isn't on, it's unlikely to be low fluid and the slave cylinder doesn't get hot enough to suffer vaporisation. Could be contamination (oil or clutch fluid) on the clutch. Also seen problems with the master cylinders on Fiestas but not usualy the symptoms you describe.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

rusty nuts

posted on 3/11/12 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Can you select the gears without the engine running when hot? If still stiff it may be the gear cables if it has the same set up as the Focus, try lubricating the gear lever pivot points
Ian D

posted on 3/11/12 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your help. Im going to ask her some more questions. Thye car is currently 180 miles from me.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.