Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nexus 7
philw

posted on 27/11/12 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Nexus 7

Advice needed please, I need a new phone, i'm currently using an old Nokia 3310, now then do I, or can I use a tablet (Nexus 7 3G)to make and receive phone calls and basically use it as a large smart phone

Must try harder

amalyos

posted on 27/11/12 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a Nexus 7 tablet, and it's not got 3G, i didn't think they did one.
You can't make calls with it, but it's a great bit of kit, don't know why anyone would want to spend the extra money on an Ipad.

Steve

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

big-vee-twin

posted on 27/11/12 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
No, but if you have an android phone you can set it up as a hot spot and then surf internet on the Nexus 7 after you have paired them together.

Ah just seen the 3G version, but the answer is still no, its for internet, spose you could skipe tho.

[Edited on 27/11/12 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

JoelP

posted on 27/11/12 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
honestly, you would look like dom jolly! People say that the s3 is a bit big at 4.7"!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

britishtrident

posted on 27/11/12 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
The Nexus 7 is really best viewed head to head with the Kindle Fire HD - in that contest the Nexus 7 wins by a reasonable margin.

I have just been looking at printing from both these devices as my daughter wants to replace one of her home PCs with one it seems the best way is via wifi to a HP ePrinter unless you want to use cloud printing. Cannon also have a printing app.

In terms of how easily they do serious tasks Tablets still trail Netbooks but Netbooks have rapidly gone out of fashion.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Irony

posted on 27/11/12 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Nexus 7 32GB and it's not 3G. I bet you will be able to make 3G calls on it should you want to. It's easy enough to set up calls through wifi should you want to. It is however rather large for a phone and you will probably look a bit of tit using it.

I have no regrets buying my Nexus 7 and it can accomplish far more tasks than my co-workers iPads. In fact it is quite brilliant so far.

wilkingj

posted on 27/11/12 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
The New Nexus 7 with the 3G does NOT do Voice/Telephone. Text, and data only. Although there are people working on a hack for it already.
A mate of mine has one, and we were only discussing this a couple hours ago!
Strange eh?

Nice Tablet, as we were comparing it to my Samsung 7" tab2.

EDIT:
I suspose the only way to easily make voice calls is with something like Sipdroid or similar, assuming your 3G ISP allows it.

[Edited on 27/11/2012 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 27/11/12 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by philw
Advice needed please, I need a new phone, i'm currently using an old Nokia 3310, now then do I, or can I use a tablet (Nexus 7 3G)to make and receive phone calls and basically use it as a large smart phone

Best contract buy just now is the Orange San Diego a lot of phone for £15.50 a month from the Orange Shop The only downside is it has an Intel processor so some apps don't work (yet?) not sure if the Torque app works.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

philw

posted on 27/11/12 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
I don't want a contract, I was just going to stick my Giff Gaff sim in it, looks like it might have to be a Nexus 4 smart phone then, I just didn't want to buy two bits of tech

Must try harder

philw

posted on 27/11/12 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
honestly, you would look like dom jolly! People say that the s3 is a bit big at 4.7"!

Yeah, I was thinking a bluetooth headset though

Must try harder

David Jenkins

posted on 27/11/12 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
It's worth looking at a Google Nexus 4 - that's a proper phone. They can be bought unlocked so you can pick and choose your service provider.

One down-side - the first batch all flew off the shelves within an hour of becoming available... not sure when the next batch will become available.

Linky

Peter Cowley

posted on 27/11/12 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Check out the Galaxy Note 2..........great bit of kit, and is perfect for what you want !!!
HowardB

posted on 27/11/12 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
the galaxy note 2 is some serious kit but at more than twice the price of the nexus7 is probab the only real option where a phone/tablet is required.
I have used both and the size of the note 2 is far less of an issue than I thought it might be.

I have at some point to repace my Nokia-E7, and Nokia N900, and the note2 is leading the field,...

Hth

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

MRLuke

posted on 27/11/12 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
I was going to buy a Nexus 7 as they look like a great bit of kit but after holding one I just couldnt see the point. The plan was to get a super cheap android phone with a large data allowance and use that as the internet for the tablet.

In the end the Nexus was just too small, its hardly any bigger than the galaxy s3 but you cant make phone calls on it. I ended up just getting the S3 instead.

JoelP

posted on 27/11/12 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MRLuke
I was going to buy a Nexus 7 as they look like a great bit of kit but after holding one I just couldnt see the point. The plan was to get a super cheap android phone with a large data allowance and use that as the internet for the tablet.

In the end the Nexus was just too small, its hardly any bigger than the galaxy s3 but you cant make phone calls on it. I ended up just getting the S3 instead.

Thought that myself but didnt say it since some people might appreciate the bigger screen for videos etc. Having been using my 7 incher today its not really any more use than a phone.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.