Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto to Zetec Blacktop conversion
RallyReason

posted on 28/12/12 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto to Zetec Blacktop conversion

I am sure this has been covered many times?
However i am intending on converting my Pinto powered Zero to a 2.0 Blacktop. I have a MT75 gearbox already fitted and was possibly going to reuse my ZX6R carbs that are fitted to the Pinto?.
I have sourced the shortening of the sump(member on here).
From what i can work out i will need the following items?
- Zetec inlet manifold to suit ZX6R carbs(unless i can source a ZX9 complete set up)
- A source for the ignition spark etc, possibly a Megajolt?
- Engine mounts
- Exhaust manifold
- Alternator bracket (i have the original Zetec alternator?)
- Thermostate housing?
- Water rail
- Breather blank
- Spigot bearing
- Apparently a different clutch arm pin and release bearing?

I can purchase these all brand new from the manufacturer of my kit. Then i looked at the prices.

I have read that the Zetec upgrade is very cheap?

Any help sourcing the required parts please contact me.

Thanks in advance

cal

posted on 28/12/12 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Dude danst engineering for the inlet manifold, page on eBay , kitspares do cracking water rails . Zetec conversion is cheap if you fabricate parts yourself . Good luck
AndyW

posted on 28/12/12 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Save yourself a load of money and use the standard thermostat housing, works fine on mine. I just added a header tank (£5 from scrap yard)
Ian D

posted on 29/12/12 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
I believe Im right in saying the inlet and exhaust are the oposite way around. So you will need to look at the impact of this on your engine bay plus you will need a new exhaust. Would a duratec not be a better bet as I think this is orientated the same as the Pinto.

Ian

RallyReason

posted on 29/12/12 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Cal - Danst engineering stuff does look good quality. GBS (kit spares also do them). Water rail looks the part but i think is a bit expensive just for basically a hose.

AndyW - Interested in the idea of using original/standard items like thermostat housing. I already have a header tank on my current setup. I will have to see if the original clears the bulkhead. Did you block off some of the pipes?

Ian D - Thanks for the input. Yes Duratec is the same orientation as the pinto, but i already have a 2.0 Zetec. I will need a new exhaust manifold anyway.

Thanks for the replies so far. Please keep the ideas/ ways of i can complete this install for the most efficient price.

Also if anyone has any of the parts i require please let me know.

AndyW

posted on 29/12/12 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RallyReason
Cal - Danst engineering stuff does look good quality. GBS (kit spares also do them). Water rail looks the part but i think is a bit expensive just for basically a hose.

AndyW - Interested in the idea of using original/standard items like thermostat housing. I already have a header tank on my current setup. I will have to see if the original clears the bulkhead. Did you block off some of the pipes?

Ian D - Thanks for the input. Yes Duratec is the same orientation as the pinto, but i already have a 2.0 Zetec. I will need a new exhaust manifold anyway.

Thanks for the replies so far. Please keep the ideas/ ways of i can complete this install for the most efficient price.

Also if anyone has any of the parts i require please let me know.

Just blocked the rear lower outlet to the heater. Im using original ecu aswell so having both temp senders in one place works well. All running fine, just used a mix of silicone and metal pipes to route to and from the rad. I did look at the GBS water rail but thought it was a lot of money for what it actually is. Anyway this is locost builders so Im here to build at the lowest way possible. There has been lots of advice on here that has saved me a small fortune!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.