Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Using the car as a trailer....
number-1

posted on 10/6/13 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Using the car as a trailer....

After reading bi22les post re trailers, Mark Chandler suggested using the car as the trailer, and make a T bar...i think most of its covered in the thread where puma931 made one

If im right, the trailer wheel mounting plates are welded to the underside of the car at the desired location, You jack the car up and bolt on the wheels. Same for the draw bar. As the car wheels are off the ground theres no need for it to be road legal

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=169595&page=2

Has anyone else done this? Any pics of each step? Does anyone plan to do it? Ive got limited room and cant have a trailer. I need something that i can store at the back of the garage and use on the odd trackday. Trailer hire is a pain.

This is a proper locost idea and could help a few of us out

40inches

posted on 10/6/13 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
You could buy a towing A frame and fit it to the front wishbones, or make mounting plates to attach it to. RECOVERY A FRAME TOWING DOLLY TRAILER TOW BAR 1.8t. | eBay

mark chandler

posted on 10/6/13 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
I was suggesting making a T frame so the car sits upon this, not welding plates to the car, bolting suspension to the car would be a lot of work and add the enemy, weight!

So make something like this that the car sits upon

Snipe boat trailer suit 16ft boat | eBay

Regards Mark

scimjim

posted on 10/6/13 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
You could buy a towing A frame and fit it to the front wishbones, or make mounting plates to attach it to. RECOVERY A FRAME TOWING DOLLY TRAILER TOW BAR 1.8t. | eBay

if the vehicles wheels are on the deck, it needs to be road legal. If it weighs over 750Kg, it needs to have functional brakes (as a trailer, not a car ) unbraked dollies can only legally be used to recover a broken down vehicle to a place of safety.

scimjim

posted on 10/6/13 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
I was suggesting making a T frame so the car sits upon this, not welding plates to the car, bolting suspension to the car would be a lot of work and add the enemy, weight!

So make something like this that the car sits upon

Snipe boat trailer suit 16ft boat | eBay

Regards Mark

you can't build a trailer after 29 Oct 2012 without getting it type approved

of course - how they can prove when it was built, if it's not type approved, is anyone's guess

andy996tt

posted on 10/6/13 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Was also looking into this. Hiring trailers is a pain.
number-1

posted on 10/6/13 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
The trouble with the boat trailer T bar idea is room.....i dont have it. If i did id buy a car trailer. I need something that can be taken and left at the back of the garage when its not needed

Im sure there must be a few track only cars on this forum who dont have the room for a trailer, or the wife doesnt want to look at one?

The hassle and time of having to go and collect the trailer the day before, annoying the neighbors with finding somewhere to leave it overnight, loading it up, tie down straps, the extra weight of towing, doing the track day then doing everything in reverse...its time consuming and at £50-60 a pop it can hit the pocket.

With the idea of using the car as the trailer frame it cuts out the hassle of the above. In fact, the car can be left on the set up after the track day in the garage to cut down on loading/unloading

Re building a trailer after Oct 2012....the car is the trailer so its built in 1967

mark chandler

posted on 10/6/13 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
T bar breaks down into a couple of pieces, by mounting the suspension units on a seperate axle you do not need to screw around with the car.

Also as a seperate item you are loading your car on to the trailer, this could be significant for insurance?

As a side note I made my trailer based upon the footprint of my car so it could remained parked on the trailer when in my garage without taking up any additional room. Infact it provides a decent height working platform.

Trailer front side view
Trailer front side view

Tilts for easy loading

Trailer tilted
Trailer tilted

[Edited on 10/6/13 by mark chandler]

[Edited on 10/6/13 by mark chandler]

snakebelly

posted on 10/6/13 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
Not cheap but a nice solution

https://sites.google.com/site/allytrailergbbo00/

big_wasa

posted on 10/6/13 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
^^ That looks smart but you have a max usable weight of 590kg with many cec locosts getting near that. And there still isn't that many cars that will tow an un-braked 750kg trailer.
40inches

posted on 10/6/13 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scimjim
quote:

if the vehicles wheels are on the deck, it needs to be road legal. If it weighs over 750Kg, it needs to have functional brakes (as a trailer, not a car ) unbraked dollies can only legally be used to recover a broken down vehicle to a place of safety.

Only if it's a Dolly. If it's an "A" frame, the car and "A" frame become a trailer, according to the DOT:

“A”- Frames
When an "A" frame is attached to a vehicle (e.g. a motor car) and towed by a motor vehicle (e.g. motorhome) we believe the "A" frame and car become a single unit and as such are classified in legislation as a trailer. As a consequence the car and “A”-frame are required to meet the technical requirements for trailers when used on the road in Great Britain. These requirements are contained within the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (SI 1986/1078) as amended (C&U) and the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 (SI 1989/1796) as amended (RVLR).

number-1

posted on 10/6/13 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Heres a few pics of the one made by puma931

[Edited on 10/6/13 by number-1]

scimjim

posted on 10/6/13 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
^^ That looks smart but you have a max usable weight of 590kg with many cec locosts getting near that. And there still isn't that many cars that will tow an un-braked 750kg trailer.

As I understand it, any vehicle over 1500Kg (Kerb weight) can tow a750Kg unbraked trailer?

scimjim

posted on 10/6/13 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

Only if it's a Dolly. If it's an "A" frame, the car and "A" frame become a trailer, according to the DOT:

“A”- Frames
When an "A" frame is attached to a vehicle (e.g. a motor car) and towed by a motor vehicle (e.g. motorhome) we believe the "A" frame and car become a single unit and as such are classified in legislation as a trailer. As a consequence the car and “A”-frame are required to meet the technical requirements for trailers when used on the road in Great Britain. These requirements are contained within the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (SI 1986/1078) as amended (C&U) and the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 (SI 1989/1796) as amended (RVLR).

agreed - so if it's over 750Kg it has to have brakes.

40inches

posted on 10/6/13 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

“A”- Frames

agreed - so if it's over 750Kg it has to have brakes.

Agreed my Mk is just over 500kg wet, don't know what it would weigh with a boat anchor though

fha772

posted on 11/6/13 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
...you can't build a trailer after 29 Oct 2012 without getting it type approved ...

But you can "refurbish" an old trailer, and if you do a good job, it'll look like brand new

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6743&start=105

number-1

posted on 11/6/13 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
So then....re the original post....has anyone made one or planning to?
daveb666

posted on 12/6/13 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
I'd love some more pics from puma931 as to how it's made.
number-1

posted on 26/6/13 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Me too. Looks like a simple yet cheap alternative to trailer hiring

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.