Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bending side supports?
justy75

posted on 9/7/13 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
Bending side supports?

Hi all,

I am looking at removing my aeroscreen and fitting a standard screen back on my Tiger. From what I can gather the screen will sit in from the edge of the scuttle a small bit, and consequently the windscreen side supports will need to be bent around the scuttle shape and then attach to the screen.

I have these GBS windscreen supports from Kitspares and they have arrived, dead flat, relatively solid - I am not sure how easy they will be to ive me bend?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261228644044

Can someone give me any tips on how to bend them properly?

Thanks in advance.

YQUSTA

posted on 9/7/13 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
All I will say is good luck, I had a set and binned them as I couldn't get them looking nice and neat.

I clearly didn't have the kit to do the job correctly as I have seen them look good.

I'm sure someone will be along with the correct method to do it.

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

nick205

posted on 10/7/13 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
The best way would be to make a female wooden form of the scuttle profile. Then you could knock the supports into the right shape by whacking the inside face. That'll avoid cosmetic damage to the visible face.

If you use a carpenters profile comb, it should be simple to capture and transfer the profile. Several layers of mdf stuck together and cut with a jigsaw should so it

snapper

posted on 10/7/13 at 05:46 AM Reply With Quote
This is done in two stages
Bend the triangle section around the scuttle
This is done by suspending the bottom and top of the triangle between two blocks and using the round part off a ball - peen hammer to gently form a curve.
When your happy with this clamp the neck above the now curved triangle in a vice and bend the long upright so its is verticle to the screen
It will then need a twist to get the angle right

Any marks can be filed or sanded off, if you were realy brutal with it you can fill and paint

I also rounded the edges with a file and dremel

[Edited on 10/7/13 by snapper]

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Macbeast

posted on 10/7/13 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
I did it the Snapper way - worked quite well. I didn't even use a hammer - just hands and body weight.

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

benchmark51

posted on 10/7/13 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
I was lucky as the scuttle on my locost is steel. After studying photo's of other set ups, I decided
where the holes would be and drilled the 2 lower holes in the scuttle. Temp' fitted the supports, offered up the screen
frame to see how much bending req'. Quite a bit, so 1 by 1 I bent them in a vice using hands, hammer ect. Eventually I
was happy with the shape, so fitted them to the screen frame and bolted them on. Checked it over and drilled the top
hole each side. Quite happy with the result, I removed them and rubbed out all the marks rounded the corners and edges.
I painted mine and used neoprene to make a gasket between the support scuttle, glued to the support. The gaps between
the screen and scuttle I used closed cell neoprene strips. Job done.

Neoprene on ebay item no 261189838856. All shapes sizes and happy to post.

justy75

posted on 10/7/13 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys for all your help.

I get the feeling that these side supports that I have will require quite a lot of force to get them anywhere near right! I made the mistake of seeing them already bent on a GBS, as their screen also seems to sit inside and not that near to the edge of the scuttle. The bend on those seems really significant so it seems that I wrongly assumed that these identical looking ones ordered from their site are not the same as the ones supplied on a new GBS (Unless of course they have a tool for bending them in to position). The ones i have are so thick and heavy that getting them looking good may prove to be a long winded task!!

Has anybody else used they supports? Before I start, any feedback on how difficult or not to bend, would be appreciated!

Thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.