Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 to x flow
myke pocock

posted on 7/9/13 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Type 9 to x flow

Predictably things are not going to plan!!! I am fitting a type 9 box to my x flow engine and have discovered that the input shaft on the 4 speed box I have taken out is smaller than the type 9, (22mm OD for the 4 speed and 27.15mm for the Type 9) Where do I source a front yolk and splined tube unit to fit to my existing prop shaft?

[Edited on 7/9/13 by myke pocock]

sjmatthews

posted on 7/9/13 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
You'll have to change the clutch

I'll be in the garage dear!

myke pocock

posted on 7/9/13 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, I have the correct friction plate, its the input shaft on the Type 9 that differs in size from the 4 speed prop.
wicket

posted on 7/9/13 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Do you mean the output shaft of the gearbox, if so get your prop shaft modified to suit the type 9 output
black fingernail
Contributor

Posts 144
Registered 2/7/09
Location devon

Photo Archive Go!
Building: finished? scratch built book locost with 1700 puma

posted on 8/9/13 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
You'll need to fit a propshaft end from a ford that uses that size gearbox shaft and has a hardy spicer type joint fitted. a lot of the sierras and transits had a rubber do-nut fitted, these are no good as they don't fit in the transmission tunnel.
capri's, a lot of the 'v' engined fords, early sierras, etc. are a good source.

slingshot2000

posted on 8/9/13 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by myke pocock
I discovered that the input shaft on the 4 speed box I have taken out is smaller than the type 9, (22mm OD for the 4 speed and 27.15mm for the Type 9)

You need a bearing that fits inside the end of the crossflow crankshaft, I cannot remember the correct name, but it is (or certainly was), and off the shelf Ford part. Maybe someone like Burtons could help you out with this?

Regards
Jon

slingshot2000

posted on 8/9/13 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slingshot2000
quote:
Originally posted by myke pocock
I discovered that the input shaft on the 4 speed box I have taken out is smaller than the type 9, (22mm OD for the 4 speed and 27.15mm for the Type 9)

You need a bearing that fits inside the end of the crossflow crankshaft, I cannot remember the correct name, but it is (or certainly was), and off the shelf Ford part. Maybe someone like Burtons could help you out with this?

Regards
Jon

Whoops, just read this again, and It seems I was heading in the wrong direction, you need the type 9 input shaft turning down to 22mm OD to enable it to fit into your crank.

Regards
Jon

myke pocock

posted on 8/9/13 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Think I am confusing people. The problem is at the REAR of the gearbox where the prop shaft fits to it. I need a new yolk with the spline that fits my gearbox and I think one of the replies has identified that so many thanks.
coozer

posted on 8/9/13 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Bailey Morris should be able to help you, all you need is a Sierra propshaft with the correct sliding joint. The Sierra has a rubber doughnut behind the box but my prop from BM came with a sliding joint and UJ much the same as the one next to the diff.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.