Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ** What tools do you travel with?
fimi7

posted on 23/3/14 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
** What tools do you travel with?

Just about to legalize my car and 2 questions crossed my mind.

1. What tools should I keep in the car for the just in case?
2. I have no spare tire, do you guys travel with tire plugs or fixAFlat cans?

--- Ali

whitestu

posted on 23/3/14 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
I just have a cheap tool kit that I wouldn't mind too much if it was stolen, some tyre fix stuff, and cable ties, tape etc. for roadside bodges. Fortunately I've never needed any of it.

Stu

skov

posted on 23/3/14 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
RAC Membership Card.
owelly

posted on 23/3/14 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Breakdown card and mobile phone. I never seem to go far from home anyway so a pile of spare wheels is not far away. However, I do have a tyre repair kit in the car that has not been opened since my motorcycling days. It should have a packet of tyre plugs, the tool to fit them and a little compresed gas cylinder in it.
On the odd planned jaunt that requires tools, I stuff a few bits in a tool roll and Velcro it under the seat. It usually has the following in it:
Small adjustable spanner.
Bit bigger adjustable spanner.
Swap-end screwdriver.
Pliers.
Cable-ties.
Insulating tape.
Latex-type gloves.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chesney321

posted on 23/3/14 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
the missus lol
theprisioner

posted on 23/3/14 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
RAC card + some bits and pieces to repair punctures as the RAC will only offer you transport home/garage after a long wait at the side of the road. I carry a Porsche 911 alloy jack and some repair worms and awls and a very small electric pump. I go to places like Applecross where it can be a long way to an open garage. A few tools saves lots of lost holiday time. The whole lot takes up the space of a biscuit tin. Depends on how far from home you go!

http://sylvabuild.blogspot.com/

http://austin7special.blogspot.co.uk/

Paul AS

posted on 23/3/14 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Another RAC vote here. Can of tyre foam, dinky little scissor jack, adjustable spanner, and that's about it for local trips. Long distance goes up a bit with wheel brace, selection of allen keys, tie wraps and gaffer tape.
rusty nuts

posted on 23/3/14 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
I have a small tool box about 24" by 6"by 6" which is packed full of tools, a couple of sets of spanners (wrenchs)ring and open end , screwdrivers a 1/4"socket set , a 3/8" socket set, a 1/2" breaker bar and a few sockets, mole grips, pliers , cutters a hammer etc gaffer and insulating tape , cable ties etc. Not normally needed for kyself but has often go other people out of trouble
coozer

posted on 23/3/14 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
I carry a tote bag from my days with London Transport with a small socket set, a few screw drivers crossed and flat, insulating tape, loads of tie wraps and a roll of duck tape. Couple of spanners, pliers and a multi tool.

I used to carry a AA card but after getting mucked about summit chronic off them I now use AutoAid @ £39/year..

http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Scuzzle

posted on 23/3/14 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've broken down and been messed around by the RAC who said the car was too low to be towed with his van and a flat bed would have to be used at my expense because the car was lower than standard. Luckily I got the car going and when my RAC renewal came through I phoned them and told them I wanted to cancel. The woman gave me the renewal for half price and guaranteed the car would be towed home no matter what and to take a note of the date and time and her name as proof as all their calls are recorded.

I now keep said info on a piece of paper in my wallet in case I go through the same thing again.

fimi7

posted on 23/3/14 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the good input. It does help...

--- Ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.