Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A call from Microsoft Support !
Agriv8

posted on 30/7/14 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
A call from Microsoft Support !

Warning scam calls from Microsoft Server support.

After a call from my aged parents that they had received a call from Microsoft support last week saying their PC was sending emails to them. I received one yesterday and wife had one today.

Yesterday :-

They terminated the call when I asked 'for the call reference no' and a 'number' I could call them back on when as I needed to complete the following :-

switched on the 2 desktop PC's
found and switched on 3 laptops
switched in the 1 Mac Mini
got the Ipad from the wife
powered up the NAs drive
they hung up when I asked what was their IP address was so I could unblock my firewall <click>

Today ( wife took the call )

They got quite nasty insisting they were legitimate they hung up when she demanded a number to call them back on after checking there claims with our Internet service provider.

There must be ways to stop these international scam calls !

anyway keep safe online tell your Kids, wife's and colleagues.

proper Microsoft advice is HERE

ATB Agriv8

[Edited on 30/7/14 by Agriv8]

[Edited on 30/7/14 by Agriv8]

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Thailoz

posted on 30/7/14 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
screw microsoft go linux

It may sound a dumb Question to you but to others it may be an eureka moment

tegwin

posted on 30/7/14 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
This sort of scam has been going on for a while.... My gran had one a few years ago and was asked to go to some website which basically gave the bar-stewards remote access to the machine...they found a load of "issues" and wanted her credit card details to fix them....

I guess a lot of people are too trusting of "experts" when it comes to technology they themselves know little about.... Shame on anyone that takes advantage of that!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Oldaker

posted on 30/7/14 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
My record for wasting their time is 40 minutes so far. I will string them along, acting dumb before finally saying " you do realise I am using a Mac?" The streams of abuse after that are quite funny. I figure that all the while they are on the phone to me, they are not conning some old dear out of her money.
jps

posted on 30/7/14 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly I discovered last week that my dad had handed over about £350 to one of these sorts of scams in the last few weeks so a timely warning, obviously they're active at the moment. Dad is 67 and had no idea that for £350 he could have thrown his current PC in the bin and replaced it with something brand new... A good prompt for people out there to check in with any 'older' people they know who might get ripped off like this...
Agriv8

posted on 30/7/14 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
Sadly I discovered last week that my dad had handed over about £350 to one of these sorts of scams in the last few weeks so a timely warning, obviously they're active at the moment. Dad is 67 and had no idea that for £350 he could have thrown his current PC in the bin and replaced it with something brand new... A good prompt for people out there to check in with any 'older' people they know who might get ripped off like this...

JPS its only the fact my parents were not done is that I have programed Mum and Dad the stock answer is "my son fixes my laptop give me your number and a call reference and I will get him to call you back" in the VERY, VERY rare chance that they are legit they would be more than happy to supply these details.

re your dads PC I am sure they will have left some 'software ' on there meaning you need there services in the future. I would be getting his Credit card supplier to replace the card as 'possibly compromised' !

there should be a double fronted attack on these bu66ers

how are these calls getting through
how are payments getting authorised

Anyway rant over

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Ivan

posted on 30/7/14 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
My best shot was 35 minutes and 3 call backs - I kept therm going with booting up my computer and the need for long, very misunderstood (by me) explanations of what to do until just before i gave them access to my Computer then said - wait a minute a visitor has just arrived could they call back - then at the call back I replied that visitor was still there - then on final call back kept them going a while getting my computer booted up etc and then said that visitor was my son and that he had told me they were scam artists and that i was to hang up - which I did.
jps

posted on 30/7/14 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8 I have programed Mum and Dad the stock answer is "my son fixes my laptop give me your number and a call reference and I will get him to call you back"

Great that you can get them to do that, I think it'll be a challenge to get my dad to accept that he needs someone else to look after some stuff for him!!

Snuggs

posted on 30/7/14 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
I normally ask "WHAT ARE YOU WEARING" in a Moe Szyslak voice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

jollygreengiant

posted on 30/7/14 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
I normally turn it round on them. :-

Oh hello, just for your information I must let you know that your phone call IS being recorded for legal purposes and I am to understand that you wish to make use of my patronage of your company. For this I have standard fees of £50,000 in the first instance and then monthly return remittances by your selves of £10,000 per calender month until the expiry of my standard 5 year contract. Any photos or graphics that can be attributed to me are at the rate of £250,000 per use and any written lineage at £25,000 per standard column inch. All I need now is for you to make a verbal agreement to this over the phone now by you as a representative of your company giving me a recorded verbal agreement to the affirmative of this and your details WILL be traced by my legal team and any and all recompensed WILL be pursued by my legal team with a track record of 100% in ALL courts of law. Now, do you agree to these terms and conditions. .............

Some times I've managed to keep them going for half and hour trying to get them to say yes, before they hang up, it IS so funny.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 30/7/14 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
I posted a little while back asking for prople's views on the effectiveness of the BT call blocker phones.
I have since acquired one, it helps a little, but the system will only take a message from 'unavailable' numbers.
What would be ideal is a call blocker that will simply block all 'withheld' and 'unavailable' numbers.

As it is, all the 'Vault' and other scammers numbers that regularly pester me are at least on the blocker list.

It's endless, criminal and simply wrong that the amount of scammery I have to endure simply to have a phoneline.
TPS is simply not working.

AdrianH

posted on 30/7/14 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
I know that this may sound a bit geeky, but, I decided to have ago with a Linux package astlinux, it is a pbx system, an old thin client HP-T5700 is the computer 512 Meg ram and 512 meg flash. Anyway, I have it as a home pbx system, it now answers all incoming calls and plays a message of 'Please hold while we try to connect you', then will start ringing internal phones (SIP Based).

The amount of day time and night time callers from companies like window sales men, British Gas etc we pick up to has dropped to zero. They still ring, but clear down as soon as they get the message as they think they have a commercial number or they think they have an automated system on the line. It was a challenge to learn how to use but has had this wonderful benefit.

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

ashg

posted on 31/7/14 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
we have caller id and panasonic phones. when someone in our phone book calls it rings and says their name, if they are not in the phone book it calls out the number or says private caller if its withheld. if we don't know it we let the answer phone pickup.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

coozer

posted on 31/7/14 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've started doing this by going.. (shouting as if in a hurry)

HELLO TRANSPORT!..

Hello can I speak to Mr. Coozer please...

YOUR THROUGH TO TRANSPORT CAN I HAVE YOUR REFERENCE NUMBER?

Errm, can I

REFERENCE FOR YOUR DELIVERY!

Oh, sorry we must have the wrong number I'll remove it from our system...

This all came to me as I was trying to get into the Tescos RDC in Livingston.. because I couldnt find the correct number he just went 'good bye' and hung up leaving me stuck at the gate with a Q of Stobarts wan.... err, drivers behind me

It all helps that this is in fact the transport office so all above board so they say...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

James

posted on 7/8/14 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
Loads of baiting of these scum on youtube...

this one had me laughing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhqxOFH2rmI

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.