Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Freelander gone nuts
RickRick

posted on 14/10/14 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
Freelander gone nuts

Wifes freelander 2.0 D has just tried to kill its self. started smoking a bit then reved its nuts off and didn't stop with key removed. carried on like this for maybe 5 mins then stopped it's self

sumps very full over the top of the dipstick gauge. coolants got out somewhere all over the road.

i'm guessing leaking injector but what do you think the chances are for an easy repair job or will it be toast

mookaloid

posted on 14/10/14 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
Turbo oil seals gone causing oil to be pulled into engine which then causes it to run away. Sounds like it's blown some gaskets (head) as a minimum which caused it to stop. If sump is full I guess some coolant has got in there as well as all over the road.

Doesn't sound good......

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

r1_pete

posted on 14/10/14 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, agree with Mookaloid, Son in Laws Astra TD did exactly the same, the turbo bearings went causing the oil seal failure, presumably sucked oil in and ran on that, until the amount of oil in the chambers caused too much pressure and blew the head gasket....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NigeEss

posted on 14/10/14 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
You're lucky if it's a gasket that made it stop, usually they run to destruction. Either run till oil runs dry and seize
or a rod through the side of the block.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

mcerd1

posted on 14/10/14 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
what colour was the smoke ?
if its a blueish oil smoke then its another sign that it could be the turbo oil seals...

-

RickRick

posted on 14/10/14 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Apparently it was lots of white smoke

my first thought was turbo oil seals, i pulled the dipstick thinking it would be empty, but its way over full, and it's not made mayo so i'm sure its lots of diesel blended with the oil

Daddylonglegs

posted on 14/10/14 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, Mookaloid's got it!

Turbo 'runaway'. The turbo uses oil under pressure from the engine's oil system as a bearing fluid. When the seals go, the oil keeps feeding the engine even when the solenoid to the pump is shut off. As long as there is oil in the sump the engine will free run, and with no governor it will rev its n*ts off!!

The normal way to stop it if you're brave enough is to starve the turbo of air by blocking off the intake. The normal result is a toasted engine as it runs itself dry of oil and seizes.

Surprised it still had oil in though, must have seized first through overheating maybe?

Hope you get it sorted.

Not to frighten anyone but......

Hot or what?

[Edited on 14/10/14 by Daddylonglegs]

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Jon Ison

posted on 14/10/14 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
boom
MK9R

posted on 14/10/14 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, its fooked

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 14/10/14 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
The turbo is not necessarily the primary cause in this case, though it's probably fairly well worn. If this is the TD5 engine then fuel in the oil is a common problem, and when you get enough diesel in the oil it will make a run away far more likely.

The diesel can enter the sump either via leaking o-rings on the injectors which causes the diesel to leak straight into the top of the cylinder head or by the high pressure fuel gallery in the head becoming porous/cracking.

MikeR

posted on 14/10/14 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Did the freelander have the TD5? I thought it had the TD4 (or does the same fault occur in both)?
RickRick

posted on 14/10/14 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
This is the td4 bmw engine. i don't think the turbo is the cause either, however at 160k miles it could also be ruined, if the turbo has gone i probably won't attempt a repair.
Just from the dip stick the contents of the sump appear to be very thin oil so i'd guess at oil and diesel, recently mixed at 5krpm

injector leakage might be the problem not heard of the head becoming porus (does this happen on the td4) though i think the fuel lines are outside of the head with only the tip of the injector in the cylinder

i think first jobs are check turbo shaft and pipes for excess oil drain sump to normal level pull injectors and see if it'll turn over without any death rattle

owelly

posted on 14/10/14 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure the sump is full of oil?
It may have coolant in the bottom of the sump with the oil floating on top. As said by others, 'dieselling' seems to have occurred so you need to find out the order of events.
I've seen engines run-away due to having too much oil in the sump so ask when it was topped-up. It's usuall for turbos to give a bit of warning before they let go completely, so ask about oil consuption and smokey emmisions. Look to see if the exhast is full of oil although this could have been caused by the run-away!
If there's a water to oil oil cooler, that could fail which can allow water into the sump which can raise the oil level enough to cause a problem.
Most diesel run-aways I've had to repair have had catostrophic engine failure. Either seized or popped a leg out of bed.
Good luck.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

RickRick

posted on 14/10/14 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
I think all 4 legs are still tucked up in bed apparently it stopped over a period of time rather than dead stop.

Oil was changed maybe 8k ago and other than me checking and topping up once or twice it was in the middle maybe a week ago, so not over filled. i'm going off the dipstick maybe an hour after the event all one colour no mayo thin though it was still quite warm and maybe max mark + half again i'd have thought any water would have been mixed in after 5 mins at full bore

i drove it over the weekend and all appeared fine. apparently it was making an odd noise and smoking white on the 13 mile home trip. she stopped at her dads house to ask him what it was. gave the accelerator a light prod to show him the smoke and off it went. white ish smoke covereing the whole street.

sprouts-car

posted on 14/10/14 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Gives me a chance to post this old favourite:

Build blog

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 14/10/14 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RickRick
This is the td4 bmw engine. i don't think the turbo is the cause either, however at 160k miles it could also be ruined, if the turbo has gone i probably won't attempt a repair.
Just from the dip stick the contents of the sump appear to be very thin oil so i'd guess at oil and diesel, recently mixed at 5krpm

injector leakage might be the problem not heard of the head becoming porus (does this happen on the td4) though i think the fuel lines are outside of the head with only the tip of the injector in the cylinder

i think first jobs are check turbo shaft and pipes for excess oil drain sump to normal level pull injectors and see if it'll turn over without any death rattle

Not to labour a point, but you may just be measuring the oil on top of the water in the sump - crack the sump plug and see what comes out.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

02GF74

posted on 14/10/14 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Is it not possible to select highest gear, with handbrake on slowly realese clutch to stall engine?

nick205

posted on 14/10/14 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Is it not possible to select highest gear, with handbrake on slowly realese clutch to stall engine?

My old boss tried that when his Saab 95 3.0 diesel ran away. Handbrake, footbrake and caravan attached. It just kept going and added a wrecked clutch to the list of damage.

nick205

posted on 14/10/14 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sprouts-car
Gives me a chance to post this old favourite:

That is crazy! Lucky not to have been hurt!

mcerd1

posted on 14/10/14 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

it can be worth a shot, but if the engine is running at full revs or more it may just slip the clutch or even rip the centre out of the friction plate...

-

02GF74

posted on 14/10/14 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
^^^^^ i did wonder, so a potato in the air intake shoulrd do it surely.

nick205

posted on 15/10/14 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
^^^^^ i did wonder, so a potato in the air intake shoulrd do it surely.

It might do, but watching the various YouTube footage I'm not sure I'd want to open the bonnet and try.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.