Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Avon windscreen options
Northy

posted on 24/10/14 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Avon windscreen options

Hi,

I plan on doing a few jobs to the Avon over the winter so I can give it some use next year.
At the moment it's just got an aeroscreen but I'm a bit bored of having to wear a full face helmet to use it.

What options are there for a windscreen for it? The standard Tiger one is quite short isn't it?
Do I really NEED wipers etc, or is it easier to fit the aeroscreen back on for MOT time?

What are peoples opinions?

Thanks,

G

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 24/10/14 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know what fits the Tiger - I got a Caterham screen for my MK which fits quite well.

As for using the car with a screen wipers are a must as a little bit of rain makes driving virtually impossible.

The other thing that I didn't realise is that without side screens a full wind screen makes little difference to driving comfort. However with some decent sidescreens high speed driving is much more civilised and you can hold a conversation quite easily even at fairly high speeds.

The other thing to consider is a demister. Not so important if you don't have a roof and not needed for MOT, but vital if you do have a roof.

I'll be trying to squeeze a Saxo heater / demister into my Indy this winter!

Having a screen, sidescreens and roof have made my car far more useable given our rubbish weather and once I have the heater I'd be quite happy using it every day.

Stu

Northy

posted on 24/10/14 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Ah ok, good information thanks.
So next question, how big can an Aeroscreen be without being a windscreen? Maybe a couple of extra inches would help.... (that's what she said).

G

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
johnemms

posted on 24/10/14 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
First screen
First screen
Mine is eyeline level - squat down a little for full cover - sit a little up to see clear over it

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

Northy

posted on 24/10/14 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
I like that :-) I'll have to measure how high mine is.
Mine is currently blue.
Where could I get some clear plastic to make a higher one?

Thanks,

G

Graham

anthony1

posted on 24/10/14 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Aeroscreens???

If you look in my photo archive......I had a similar screen on my MK Indy , I think it was from a Mach 1. I made some side screens and added some corners to the screen ,very warm when driving......however the top edge of the screen was right on eye level , so if you look at the latest developments folder you can see that I have added some aeroscreens , my next job is to add a small section in the middle and one at each side , I will probably use some polycarbonate for this , the aero screens are about 40mm higher than the screen was , so i am hoping they will be just above eye line. I did try to find some info. regarding how high the screen could be without wipers but was unable to find anything.....probably not looking in the right place....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.