Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Undoing zetec cam sprocket help
AndyW

posted on 4/2/15 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Undoing zetec cam sprocket help

Ok so I was going to put my timing belt on tonight but couldn't find a way to hold the camshaft whilst I tried to undo the sprocket bolt. Is there a particular spanner size or tool to hold the camshafts? I've been told its a no no to use the timing locking bar for obvious reasons.

Need a solution asap as want to crack on and get the bloomin' engine back in

Ta

Andy

AvonJas

posted on 4/2/15 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
I made one using 3 bolts and 2 lengths of flat bar. Google zetec cam sprocket tool, there's a picture . Don't use the timing bar in the back of the cams, you could break them.
Dusty

posted on 5/2/15 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
I ground out a 24mm open ended spanner from a Lidl set (that cost peanuts) till it fitted the flats on the cam. You can buy or make a cam sprocket holding tool which is probably the best way to do it.
Paul Turner

posted on 5/2/15 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
When I changed the cambelt (twice) on my Silvertop there was no need to loosen the cam sprockets. When the new belt was fitted and tensioned the timing slots lined up perfectly with the crank on TDC. Blacktop did need one of the cam sprockets moving slightly but I have verniers on this engine and adjusting is a doddle.

But if you need to loosen the cam sprocket bolts you need to make a tool that holds the sprocket while you loosen/tighten the bolts. Its a 2 person job to do it accurately. I made mine form a diagram in Haynes manual. Do not rely on the timing bar to hold the cams, you will damage them.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.