Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Volunteering with your car in Nottingham
swanny

posted on 27/2/15 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Volunteering with your car in Nottingham

hello all,

my wife works at a day centre for people with head injuries. The overwhelming majority of them are men. And most of the head injuries are as a result of trauma (accidents, injuries to squaddies, RTAs etc)

They have a program of sessions with arts and crafts stuff, through to history and science. however a recent session on WW2 mentioned the VW beetle and this sparked a whole debate about the car industry with many of them professing a love for cars bikes etc.

it occurred to me that it might be good to take a handful of cars/bikes/kits, modified/classics anything interesting really over one day as a bit of a break from the usual basket weaving/arts and crafts stuff they do.

The tricky bit would be that it would need to be in the daytime. i'm lucky in that i can juggle my hours a bit and take the kit over (when it has a new MOT) but i know its tricky. but i think it might be a really good thing to do with our cars for chaps who were just like us until the unthinkable happened to them.

what do you reckon?

if there is a few of us interested i'll formally contact the charity and see if they would allow it .

cheers

paul

Pojo

posted on 27/2/15 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Great Idea Paul, a worthy cause, as you say, they are just like us but have been unlucky. If my car was on the road i would volunteer straight away. Hope you get a positive response.

Good luck, Pojo

Andybarbet

posted on 27/2/15 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I did a similar thing when I was a member of the Triumph TR register years ago, about ten of us turned up in classic cars, it was a fantastic day & went down a storm :-)

Unfortunately my kit is in a million unbuilt pieces, if you manage to pull it off, make sure we get some photos - I was absolutely buzzing on the drive home when I did it & the feedback we got from staff, patients & family members was great.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

pewe

posted on 27/2/15 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
That's a great idea.
Some time ago we did a similar thing with the guys at Headley Court.
Not only the lads but the staff were very enthusisatic and thoroughly enjoyed the passenger rides on offer.
Besides promoting it on here why not post on P/Heads?
BOL in making it happen.
Cheers, Pewe10

adampage

posted on 27/2/15 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Great idea!

I'm sure my Dad would do it with his, but it's not IVA'd yet.
Maybe at the end of the year.

Good luck!

Ad

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 27/2/15 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
I'm only over in Derby so would be more than happy to trailer my sprint car over (see picture), it would only be a static display though as it is not road legal but it does look (and sound) pretty mental. Unless there is a big carpark there were we could run it!

Might be fun to strap people in and let them try and beat the MSA minimum getting out time through the Harness, Kirkey Seat and Full Roll cage.

I appreciate that it might be appropriate to cover up the bonnet stickers as well for such an event.

Anyway drop me a U2U if interested.

Thoresby TLT 2
Thoresby TLT 2

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MP3C

posted on 27/2/15 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors

Thoresby TLT 2
Thoresby TLT 2

Is that picture from Thorsby sprint last September? I was competing in that and remember your car!!!

Sorry for being off topic, you can count me in for the day however I will have to see if the car is back together and running first. I'm in Coventry so not a million miles away from me.

Matt

SteveWallace

posted on 27/2/15 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Paul,

Great idea. Count me in, although whether I can make it or not will depend on the exact day that's chosen. That said, with enough notice my diary is reasonably flexible. The only other constraint would be that if its p-ing it down, my car is not weather proof.

Steve

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 27/2/15 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MP3C
quote:
Originally posted by Doctor Derek Doctors

Thoresby TLT 2
Thoresby TLT 2

Is that picture from Thorsby sprint last September? I was competing in that and remember your car!!!

Sorry for being off topic, you can count me in for the day however I will have to see if the car is back together and running first. I'm in Coventry so not a million miles away from me.

Matt

Yeah that was Thoresby Park, was mine and the cars competition debut. Should be at a load of NSCC events this year though.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MP3C

posted on 27/2/15 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
I should be sprinting with the HSA again this year (hopefully), will see you at some events I would guess, I'll come and say hello if I see your car!

Matt

Daverog

posted on 27/2/15 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
I am over at Burton on Trent, so I could support with the Indy.
Irony

posted on 27/2/15 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
assuming my car goes through the IVA okay you can probably count me in.
swanny

posted on 27/2/15 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
brill thats a great response guys. i'll get onto the charity and see what they reckon.

paul

keithjardine

posted on 27/2/15 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Great idea Paul, have you ever been to the classic car meets at the Griffins head? Maybe drum up some interest there too when the meets restart in May?
SPYDER

posted on 27/2/15 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
I could bring the Spyder along, subject to the date and the weather.
rash12

posted on 27/2/15 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
count me in depending on day and weather
perksy

posted on 27/2/15 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
That's a really nice idea for a very good cause.

I did a similar thing a few years ago for the children's cancer unit at the local hospital.
Managed to get 23 westy's there and 3 Ultimas, Oh and a Ferrari 355 turned up

There was a lot of organising to do for it and if I can offer any help on what we had to do etc please feel free to PM me.

swanny

posted on 4/3/15 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Hello all,

i have just heard back from the charity and they were very enthusiastic. I'll do a reckie over the next few days and see what space there is and get back to you.

Paul

swanny

posted on 10/3/15 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
ok chaps, the charity; Headway have suggested the 14th of April as a suitable date for them. Can anyone make it?

Paul

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 10/3/15 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I probably can. Do you have an idea of where it is and what time?

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

swanny

posted on 10/3/15 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
time is up to us, I'd suggest 11 or so? to give people time to get there without dealing with the rush hour traffic.
address is here.

https://www.headway.org.uk/branches/nottingham.aspx

MP3C

posted on 10/3/15 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
I can probably make it, again all dependent on weather the car is "road worthy" or not at the time.

Matt

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 10/3/15 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swanny
time is up to us, I'd suggest 11 or so? to give people time to get there without dealing with the rush hour traffic.
address is here.

https://www.headway.org.uk/branches/nottingham.aspx

I appreciate that its not all about me but could I suggest that either morning or afternoon might better as that means people only have to take a 1/2 day off work. Perhaps 1pm would mean people only have to take an afternoon off and have time to get home and collect their cars.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

keithjardine

posted on 10/3/15 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'm off that week!

Car will be road worthy (it better be as its off for a trip to the highlands with RHOCaR on the 18th) and I will do my damn best to be there!

I have no plans as yet for that day....

Jon Ison

posted on 10/3/15 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
If it's not peeing it down I'm pretty close and get over easily.
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.