Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what bec motor
jpindy3

posted on 17/3/15 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
what bec motor

hi guys made my mind up on what kit to go for the aries.now i dont know what motor i wanted to do a turbo bike engine but after giving it some thought ive saked that idea,so was thinking of a hayabusa but there flipping expensive just for the std unit.whats my other options pls.mind you ive never driven a bec.
thanks jamie

kitcardirect

posted on 17/3/15 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on your budget I suppose

Cbr1000rr seem to be the engine of choice these days plenty of quick cars in the Rgb using them

http://www.kitcardirect.co.uk/

Follow Us On Facebook : http://on.fb.me/1KYgL8N

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jpindy3

posted on 17/3/15 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kitcardirect
Depends on your budget I suppose

Cbr1000rr seem to be the engine of choice these days plenty of quick cars in the Rgb using them

around 1600 for the motor,ive seen older hayabusas but then i look at 2006-08 r1 s and 1000rr engines.ahhhhh

chesney321

posted on 18/3/15 at 02:21 AM Reply With Quote
congratulations on plumping for an aries most of us that have built one recently have gone for the older 893 or 919 fireblade engine to get used to first as with this you don't need a catalytic converter for iva once you have got used to it you can later upgrade your engine and still get back what you paid for old engine..
daniel mason

posted on 18/3/15 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
The hayabusas and zzr1400 will be most 'car like' in how they drive and probably better for general cruising. But in reality they will be no quicker than the modern 1000cc motors!
Gsxr 1000 seem the choice for us guys on the hills due to the grunt but the racers tend to go cbr 1000rr
If you did the install and realise after a year or so that you'd prefer the turbo y can always do it at a later stage over a wimter

[Edited on 18/3/15 by daniel mason]

jpindy3

posted on 18/3/15 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys,also what mods do I need to do to the engine to make it fit or run.ie sump clutch???
daniel mason

posted on 18/3/15 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Think the cbr 1000 just needs a billet sump,slipper clutch as standard. You'll probably get various responses with the busa but I'd be dry sumping it for sure! And with an sbd kit!
chesney321

posted on 18/3/15 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
have you been in touch with steve then ?? he is a real friendly man I once had a problem with fitting the engine cradle and he popped in his van and came straight over just to find out I had a bracket on wrong he then spent a few hours with me looking around car with me telling me how to improve it all in it was an 80 mile round trip that is how he is any problems and he will sort it out..
adithorp

posted on 18/3/15 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
BUSA needs dry sump kit to be reliable. It's heavier than the 1lt motors to start with and that adds a fair bit more.
ZZR1400 just needs asump baffle or billet sump AFAIK. I'd go for the siplicity of that over a BUSA if you go for the larger capacity motor.

CBR1000rr is engine of choice in RGB currently. Think it needs a billet sump and as the secondary injectors are in the air-box that can't be altered/removed easily so it's very tall (look at the big bonnet bulges in RGB). ZX10r is the other popular RGB engine (similar issues I think). Not sure about slipper clutch for road use. I wouldn't like to be using the brakes all the way down a mountain, though I see thier advantages on track.
R1's need a sump baffle plate and breather mod'. You also need to by-pass te EXUP motor to fool the ECU or keep the Exup motor attached but hidden away. That'd be my choice but I'm biased

Worth a trip the Stoneleigh show (3-4th May) and chat to some owners.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

jpindy3

posted on 18/3/15 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
BUSA needs dry sump kit to be reliable. It's heavier than the 1lt motors to start with and that adds a fair bit more.
ZZR1400 just needs asump baffle or billet sump AFAIK. I'd go for the siplicity of that over a BUSA if you go for the larger capacity motor.

CBR1000rr is engine of choice in RGB currently. Think it needs a billet sump and as the secondary injectors are in the air-box that can't be altered/removed easily so it's very tall (look at the big bonnet bulges in RGB). ZX10r is the other popular RGB engine (similar issues I think). Not sure about slipper clutch for road use. I wouldn't like to be using the brakes all the way down a mountain, though I see thier advantages on track.
R1's need a sump baffle plate and breather mod'. You also need to by-pass te EXUP motor to fool the ECU or keep the Exup motor attached but hidden away. That'd be my choice but I'm biased

Worth a trip the Stoneleigh show (3-4th May) and chat to some owners.

So what fose the exup do and why u got to hide it,I really liking the r1 ,I'm not to keen on the massive bonnet bolge.so r the sumps expensive?thanks lads

adithorp

posted on 18/3/15 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
EXUP is a variable gate in the exhaust that is used to constantly vary the exhausr diameter to suit the revs.In a kit youuse a different exhaust so it's no use and so you remove it. Trouble is that causes a fault code on the dash and has also been blamed for some engine failures (presumably the ECU fuels differently when it thinks the EXUP has failed). You can either keep the motor that drives it connected to the loom or use a little electronic box of tricks and all is well. Keeping the motor is a bit heavier and you might hear it whirr every time you start up.

Search Exup widget on here to find instructions on how to make one. Also search for the breathermod'(again easy enough to do))

jpindy3

posted on 18/3/15 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Is exup on all bike engines
Johneturbo

posted on 18/3/15 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
The hayabusas and zzr1400 will be most 'car like' in how they drive and probably better for general cruising. But in reality they will be no quicker than the modern 1000cc motors!
Gsxr 1000 seem the choice for us guys on the hills due to the grunt but the racers tend to go cbr 1000rr
If you did the install and realise after a year or so that you'd prefer the turbo y can always do it at a later stage over a wimter

Having had both an 05R1 and now my 09ZZR14 i would say there is a noticable difference even more so when you take a passenger out in the car.

i'd also now go for a bigger cc bike engine if i was building again, as had been said the ZZR14 is the easier to go with as just a billet sump front mount oil cooler and away you go.

also i'm running a 3.14 diff which mean for longer journeys i'm about 5,500rpm for 70mph

edited to add

i've done about 5,000 miles and that's with the standard clutch it came with.

i went through a lot of clutches with the R1

[Edited on 18/3/15 by Johneturbo]

daniel mason

posted on 18/3/15 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
I was referring to the more modern 1000cc motors like the blade rather than the older R1 but I'd imagine even at road speeds I'd agree the larger motors are more suited, but at full chat on a circuit at high rpm's the 1000cc would be my choice!
The top bike powered westfields in the wscc sprint series are all running 1000cc motors and are all around the 400kg mark which is not achievable with the bigger engines

Johneturbo

posted on 18/3/15 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think 400kg is realistic on a road car, my mnr when i had the R1 was 485 with half tank gas, and without me in it!
adithorp

posted on 18/3/15 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johneturbo

What were you doing to the R1 clutches? My original engine did 18000miles on the original plates and they were still fine when it came out. Nothing wrong with it but just to be replaced with a tuned motor. Thats done 5000 so far with no issues. Standard plates in both but a set of Barnet HD springs in both.

daniel mason

posted on 18/3/15 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
The Aries is way smaller than the mnr though so I'd imagine 440kg is quite possible!
Johneturbo

posted on 19/3/15 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
quote:
Originally posted by Johneturbo

What were you doing to the R1 clutches? My original engine did 18000miles on the original plates and they were still fine when it came out. Nothing wrong with it but just to be replaced with a tuned motor. Thats done 5000 so far with no issues. Standard plates in both but a set of Barnet HD springs in both.

I had barnet springs with standard steels and fibres as they seem to be the best option, it just struggled off the line i even went down to a 3.62 diff from a 3.38 to try and help it.

i spoke to Andy B about it and i don't know why but i mentioned to him that there was a name engraved on the engine and he reconized the name as someone that races sidecars, he thought maybe the cams wern't standard hence no torque at the bottom end, no other reason for it as once it was going the engine was faultless.

i bought the engine of a well know supplier on here!

Johneturbo

posted on 19/3/15 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
The Aries is way smaller than the mnr though so I'd imagine 440kg is quite possible!

Would be good to know what the average Aries on the road weighs!

MikeRJ

posted on 19/3/15 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jpindy3
Is exup on all bike engines

Not all bike engines have exhaust tuning valves, but most of the newer 600's and 1000cc bike engines use them. Technically EXUP only refers to the system used on Yamaha's bikes, but because they were first it's now a bit like the hoover name and used to refer to any four stroke exhaust tuning valve.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.