Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: WD40 is not a lubricant!
David Jenkins

posted on 6/5/15 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
WD40 is not a lubricant!

Just picked this up from a different forum - I thought it was something worth preserving for those times when someone says "just squirt it with WD40"!

WD40

MP3C

posted on 6/5/15 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.
Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40® stands for Water Displacement, WD-40® Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

From the WD40 website. I guess if it says multi-use on the can then its probably ok.

Matt

David Jenkins

posted on 6/5/15 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
As it says in that link - water is a lubricant, in certain situations - but you probably wouldn't want to use it to make your bearings work...

Any road up - I'm not a preacher, and everyone can do what they wish as long as it doesn't scare the horses...

whitestu

posted on 6/5/15 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
It might not be a very good lubricant, but by definition it is. Water is also a lubricant.
BenB

posted on 6/5/15 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
The long applicator is particularly good for catheter changes
Angel Acevedo

posted on 6/5/15 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Being volatile don't expect the lubricant properties to last long.
I think a lot of us have witnessed that...

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 7/5/15 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
rubbish at stopping bare metal rusting too or helping free rusty bolts, gt85 is a lot better
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 7/5/15 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
From their own website.

A QUESTION OF LUBRICATION

Myth: WD-40® Multi-Use Product is not really a lubricant.

Fact: While the “W-D” in WD-40® stands for Water Displacement, WD-40® Multi-Use Product is a unique, special blend of lubricants. The product’s formulation also contains anti-corrosion agents and ingredients for penetration, water displacement and soil removal.

Would be fairer to say its not a long term lubricant, or its not the best use for it.

[Edited on 7-5-15 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

David Jenkins

posted on 7/5/15 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
OK - I confess - I posted this as a troll, or wind-up. I have this tendency to say things that people often take too seriously, and usually they don't realise that I am a bit of a dead-pan mickey-taker.
I did guess that people would react one way or the other when they read it.

And, as a genuine personal statement about WD40, I would use it to clean off old gunk and rubbish, but I would never rely on it to either permanently prevent rust (it's OK for a short-term solution) or to keep something 'well oiled'. There are better substances to do each of those jobs.

It is a damn fine cutting lubricant when turning aluminium in the lathe though, especially the really chewy alloys that normally won't machine nicely without a fight...

[Edited on 7/5/15 by David Jenkins]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.