Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which Duratec
sleeper

posted on 1/6/15 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Which Duratec

After loitering and reading rather a lot I am planning on putting a 2.0 Duratec into my spitfire. Just waiting for some measurements back to see weather to use the MT82 or the Toyota W58 box.

My question is can somebody tell me which car and which years I should be getting the donor engine out of?

I plan on putting omex 600 ECU with jenvey throttle bodies so I don’t need to keep any of the inlet and the exhaust will be custom.

Read on here the fiesta ST150 is a good option but others say the mondeo is no different, then I have read there is differences between earlier and later heads.

As I don’t want to spend extra money just because it says it came from an ST150, what engine from what years do I need?

Fiesta 2.0?
Mondeo 2.0 ?
Focus 2.0?
other?

Not going 2.3 as height is an issue I am already needing to use a raceline Duratec-R cam cover to trim the height a touch.

All help is appreciated

jtskips

posted on 1/6/15 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
I have stripped 3 duratecs down the early one with the alloy rocker cover 2001 , the second one with the black plastic rocker cover 2002 both identical , and the third a 2005 st 150 engine, the only difference was the inlet port on the st150 had a deeper throat the exhaust port was no different ,apart from the st150 having a few more diamond washers fitted to the crank and cams it was the same , if your going to leave it standard apart from carbs jenves what ever i dont think you will tell the difference but if your going to start messing big cams , compression pistons ect try and get the high port head one ,,, john,
sleeper

posted on 1/6/15 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jtskips
I have stripped 3 duratecs down the early one with the alloy rocker cover 2001 , the second one with the black plastic rocker cover 2002 both identical , and the third a 2005 st 150 engine, the only difference was the inlet port on the st150 had a deeper throat the exhaust port was no different ,apart from the st150 having a few more diamond washers fitted to the crank and cams it was the same , if your going to leave it standard apart from carbs jenves what ever i dont think you will tell the difference but if your going to start messing big cams , compression pistons ect try and get the high port head one ,,, john,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I do plan on cams with rods and ARP bolts and studs at a later date so I think the ST150 engine should be the one. RWD motorsport offer a Toyota gearbox bell housing kit with a lightened flywheel so i might as well look to get the best one I can.

Cheers

jtskips

posted on 1/6/15 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
If i could go back i would use the 2.3 and put the st high port head on it, they are the same size bore , taller block but only 13mm, the 2.5 is being used now but the availability for rods and pistons is limited , could be my next project , parts are available in the u.s.a ,,john
joneh

posted on 1/6/15 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
I believe the ST150 has the EGR valve blanked and doesn't have the dual mass fly wheel. (No idea if the single mass would work with your box but more re-saleable here)
jtskips

posted on 1/6/15 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
got a spare st150 flywheel,, in fact 2 spare heads (standard) 2 blocks , 3 sets of cams , 2 sumps 10 used pistons , ect if anyone get stuck ,, john
radom

posted on 1/6/15 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
apparently newer engines have better flowing head
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=189293
http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Duratec/Cylinder%20Head.htm

jtskips

posted on 1/6/15 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
the code rf3s4g was on the 2005 st150 that i bought , the difference is quite vi sable when you compare it against the mondeo head
sleeper

posted on 1/6/15 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
great info guys,

I would love the 2.3 but height is a real issue and I don't want to cut into the bonnet.

a bit of a follow up question then, is coil on plug better or separate coil?

[Edited on 1/6/15 by sleeper]

jtskips

posted on 1/6/15 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
the standard one works fine for me , 230bhp

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.