Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Its a NOOOO!!!!
coozer

posted on 5/7/15 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Its a NOOOO!!!!

So, Greese think the EU are not worth it...

Is it time Cameroon took it to get in and get what WE want???

Time we all stood up against the EU no one has voted for you tell us how to go about our lives... That's dictatorship in my book...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

mark chandler

posted on 6/7/15 at 04:53 AM Reply With Quote
It looks to me more like they want to borrow the money and welch on the deal, the alternative being to actually work to pay it back......
Disgusting behaviour by any standards.

The lazy ones have just tarnished all the hard workers in their country, ultimately they will all suffer.

jeffw

posted on 6/7/15 at 05:03 AM Reply With Quote
And there you have both sides to the debate.

I think you two should be on Radio 4's Today programme

mark chandler

posted on 6/7/15 at 05:52 AM Reply With Quote
I cannot see Greece ever really wanting to be out, on top of the loan they drag €7.5 billion a year in subsidies out of the euro zone every year, money we are putting in, so I will be retiring after 60 when my mortgage is finally settled when they can opt out at 45.
olimarler

posted on 6/7/15 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
Half the issue is that a lot of deals in Greece and other European countries in that area is that it's two prices for everything cash and card prices. When cash they don't pay the taxes etc. this puts the country into a downward spiral. They work hard over there and are now struggling because the taxes are getting steaper. So the legit paying people are now paying the consequences.
Hearing the problems from x GF family and friends when I was out there is very scarey

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 6/7/15 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
As I see it, Greese/Grease/Greece is no different a situation to the rest of Europe or the Disunited Kingdom.

DK debt is soaring, no sign of the the public debt going down anytime soon, but the difference is that the DK can bury it, print money, kick it's own can down the road. Future generations will deal with it, the important thing is that the politicians get themselves re-elected. Scameron's election win, buying the Grey vote, more debt. Greece cannot bury the debt and print money, it's in a currency union.

I've heard some Greeks depict the EU as the 'enemy'. Quite a weird view, since their lifestyles and lack of GDP have to be supported somehow, without a ECB Benefit Cap... the 'enemy' pays.

Parallels with Salmonland/Sturgeonville, a small country where all it's problems are caused/created by being in a union. Salmonland is unable to print it's own money to pay the bills, so the 'enemy' has to.

Crazy...

SJ

posted on 6/7/15 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
The core of the problem is that you can't have monetary union without political union.

Nobody complains too loudly in the UK when the South East's money bails out the parts of the country that are having a tougher time because we have political union in the UK.

The fact is that the payments to help the Greek economy would have been transfer payment, not loans, if the eurozone had polictical union. The fundamental design flaw of the eurozone is that they went about it the wrong way round.

Somebody should have pointed out the potential implications to the German / French etc. electorate when their politicians were pushing to integrate Greece.

Having your own exchange rate sorts out an awful lot of problems between economies running at different speeds.

spaximus

posted on 6/7/15 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
It is a very strange situation. The Greeks are a good people and suffered in the war badly. Since then they have handled their economy shockingly, with the legitimate tax take one of the lowest in the EU.

They have at the same time allowed early retirement at very generous terms and a bulging civil service. What they have never had is industry and relied on shipping and tourists, both indecline.

So they carried on spending more than they could afford and borrowed more and more. And if you understand the way their minds work, they want to borrow money to pay back the debt!!

This is a country size addict to Wonga style economics.

What they want is to stay in the EU as the subsides we and others pay them is huge, but they want to not have any restrictions made on their lifestyle.

The best thing is for them to have a quick exit, relaunch the Dracma and make Greeks pay taxes and grow their economy. If the EU do anything else, Spains will come calling and many others who want a free ride.

It is wrong that we will not get our pensions until 67 or older whilst theirs has just increased to 60, we pay whilst they relax, that is not the EU we signed up for.

Cameron is correct, we need to stay in the EU trading block, we do not need unelected EU officals pushing monetary, political and defence unification. This should help our position as if the UK population vote out where will the EU go then?

Irony

posted on 6/7/15 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Me and the missus have voted not to pay our mortgage. When nationwide complain I will just say Greece said it would be okay.
SJ

posted on 6/7/15 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Me and the missus have voted not to pay our mortgage. When nationwide complain I will just say Greece said it would be okay.

What the Greeks have voted for is to not take out a third mortgage to pay back the second mortgage that they took out because they couldn't pay the first mortgage.

I doubt the Nationwide will afford the same courtesy to you as the EU / ECB have to Greece, but then again if you default on your mortgage it doesn't screw things up for the rest of Nationwide's customers!

mark chandler

posted on 6/7/15 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ
quote:

What the Greeks have voted for is to not take out a third mortgage to pay back the second mortgage that they took out because they couldn't pay the first mortgage.

I doubt the Nationwide will afford the same courtesy to you as the EU / ECB have to Greece, but then again if you default on your mortgage it doesn't screw things up for the rest of Nationwide's customers!

I disagree, they have chosen to retain their economically ruinous practices and in the process are helping to destroy what industries they have, only a brave person would book a holiday in Greece!

SJ

posted on 6/7/15 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

only a brave person would book a holiday in Greece!

If the Drachma comes back plenty of people will be booking once things settle down and they realise it costs half as much as it did last year.

ravingfool

posted on 6/7/15 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
My only concern this week is that the euro isn't falling fast enough against the pound

Hopping on the ferry on Thursday to catch some tour de France stages at the weekend, looks like good value but I guess it won't go much further unless the Greeks make any more stupid announcements in the next day or so...

On a serious note, this is clearly bad news all round but as suggested elsewhere we have an argument for the rest of Europe about what is most expensive short and long term - bailing out Greece or dealing with the fallout of bankrupt Greece.

The problem is that whatever happens with Greece could spread. Give in and risk real problems from Spain and Ireland. Bankrupt Greece and we have a very unhappy Germany.

coozer

posted on 6/7/15 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Its 1.39 here in Tenerife atm, been talking to some bar owners and most don't even know what's going on!

One bloke said "what crisis, don't care, its great here"

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

RichieW

posted on 6/7/15 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
If the Spanish and Portuguese had any sense they would be withdrawing their money from the banks before they end up queuing like the Greeks . These situations can spread.
blakep82

posted on 6/7/15 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Let a country full of normal people decide on the economy of the whole country... Makes sense
I wonder if finance minister Yanis Varoufakis has resigned, not because he's done his job, but because he realises its career suicide to go ahead

Thing is he seems to be hailed as some kind of hero amongst many of the SNP supporters up here.
I'm wondering if my predictions of Greece getting further fcuked over comes to anything.

Makes me greatful SNP have little actual power in Scotland, or we'd have gone the same way

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

woodster

posted on 12/7/15 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
It now appears that the Greeks have done a u turn to end all u turns !!! It looks like the Germans are going to make them pay for daring to vote no, they'll have to give in to basically letting the Germans and French run their finances ...... Bit like when you lived at home with your mum and dad and you'd send all your money on going out and getting pissed and having a good time but couldn't pay your car loan .... '

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.