Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Iva fail this week
phil clegg

posted on 11/9/15 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Iva fail this week

Noise 2db too high. Vin not in a continuous line. No interior mirror. Gearlever to sharp. Fog warning packed up. Rose joint locking nut loose on suspension. Design weight too low at920kg. Front indicator checked at 45degrees not visible. I think this should have passed at 20degrees as mounted low. I also assumed as the indicator can be seen on weel arch this was fine. Mirror I assumed if n/s fitted and passed rear view would be ok his book was slightly different to mine. When corner weighted my car was 670kg his scales said 810kg for a Haynes7.Sierra diff bmw box Alfa v6 alloy engine.plastic seats no screen.seems very heavy for me. Also in the Iva info of my computer it mentions a decel test for lsd equipped vehicles. I told examiner diff fitted(xr4x4) and it was not in his info .he still tested in rollers I am hoping no damage to diff. As a tester myself I was not happy but you don't want to rock the boat atŁ450 for a couple of hours work. So remedial cost very little. General experience not to bad and tester seemed fair and approachable,and as always could have been worse.
ianhurley20

posted on 11/9/15 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear about your fail. One point concerns me is your design weight. Mine is MX5 based and its ULW is about 1060kg, my Haynes currently weighs about 500kg (no water fuel bodywork etc at the moment) so I expect it to weigh less than yours finished. 810kg I can understand as all up max but surely not an ULW? Is that what he was saying?
Ian

Irony

posted on 11/9/15 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thats flipping heavy for a haynes. My lardy fat arsed Rover V8 tug boat Viento with a full tank and me in it weights 768kg as tested at IVA last month.
Irony

posted on 11/9/15 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
I also have two curved decibel killers that might be for sale. U2U me if interested.
phil clegg

posted on 11/9/15 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Weight

Yes his machine is saying all up weight was 810,I think it's over 100kg out. All I have to do is change weight plate to higher and it passes. Allowing 150kg for passengers plate to read 960 obviously the fattest 7 in the UK.
gremlin1234

posted on 11/9/15 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phil clegg
Yes his machine is saying all up weight was 810,I think it's over 100kg out. All I have to do is change weight plate to higher and it passes. Allowing 150kg for passengers plate to read 960 obviously the fattest 7 in the UK.
I would make the "designed" weight higher than the minimum allowed by iva, just in case you want to take heavy luggage somewhere. just ensure its within the rating of the tyres and original suspension.
also this doesn't need to be on the manufactures plate

WesBrooks

posted on 16/10/15 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phil clegg
...I told examiner diff fitted(xr4x4) and it was not in his info .he still tested in rollers I am hoping no damage to diff....

This is the bit that concerns me most here. I'm building a Land Rover Discovery '95 based kit that may end up going through an IVA at some point. It's a common horror story in Land Rover circles of vehicles being tested with the centre diff not locked and only one axle under test. While a non-permanent 4x4 system may be ok there's a high chance it will wreck a LR centre diff.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.