Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec - engine mounts - question
emwmarine

posted on 16/9/15 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec - engine mounts - question

I am making up the engine mounts for installing a zetec on my Dax Rush.

I can fabricate the mount 'legs' as they leave the engine so that the rubber mount meets the chassis facing downwards or I can fabricate the plate from the chassis so the the rubber mounts meet the chassis on both sides pointing downwards at around 45 degrees.

I am not sure what is best?

Part of me thinks they would be best pointing straight downwards with the weight of the engine, from the 'mounting legs' (i'm sure thats the wrong word for them) resting on them. On the other hand there would be more lateral resistance from having them resting on the chassis facing downwards at around 45 degrees. Although in that inclination there would be a constant shear stress going through the rubber.

Building a Dax Rush.

ianm67

posted on 16/9/15 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
The engine mount brackets on my Zetec Rush are at about 45 degrees to the vertical. The rubbers bolt to these and then the mount bolts on the other side and then to the engine block. This method offers lateral stability, using Capri 2.8 rubbers there is very little movement at all......

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

emwmarine

posted on 16/9/15 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Ian, that's how i'll do mine.

It's now in the right place now, so just fabricating them.

Building a Dax Rush.

loggyboy

posted on 17/9/15 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
I made mine in a similar way, its a fairly typical design.

Mistral Motorsport

emwmarine

posted on 17/9/15 at 06:30 AM Reply With Quote
Ah.. That's highlighted exactly the question I had.

Ian has fitted his mounts so the rubber mounts are at 45 degrees and so the vertical load puts the rubber into slight shear at all times but you have fitted them vertically with presumably less stress at rest. But Ian's will presumably locate the engine better from a lateral vibration point of view. hmm....

Also is it best to use round tube rather than beefy square section steel for the legs? I have seen both. Square is easier for me to cut accurately, not that sure on how to accurately cut round section to join up against another round section accurately.

Building a Dax Rush.

ianm67

posted on 17/9/15 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure how much shear force the mounts will be under to be honest. They have a length of studding that runs through them and they are also slighty compressed when you tighten up the bolts on either end. I doubt that you will suffer any issues with the mounts tearing or similar. Your choice will ultimately depend upon how you configure the chassis plates. My chassis mounts and engine mounts are both as DJ intended (this doesn't make it the 'right' way BTW.... !)
I'll be interested to see how you decide to proceed.....
Cheers,
IanM

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

loggyboy

posted on 17/9/15 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emwmarine
Ah.. That's highlighted exactly the question I had.
Ian has fitted his mounts so the rubber mounts are at 45 degrees and so the vertical load puts the rubber into slight shear at all times but you have fitted them vertically with presumably less stress at rest. But Ian's will presumably locate the engine better from a lateral vibration point of view. hmm....
Also is it best to use round tube rather than beefy square section steel for the legs? I have seen both. Square is easier for me to cut accurately, not that sure on how to accurately cut round section to join up against another round section accurately.

Once bolted up with firm mounts the movement will be mm's so nothing to be concerned IMO. Most Road cars are mounted at various angles. I have seen upper braces added to stop rotational movement but unless your running silly power I cant see this being required.

I made my own tube notcher to do cur mine:

Wasn't perfect but did the job.

Mistral Motorsport

MikeRJ

posted on 17/9/15 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
I made mine in a similar way, its a fairly typical design.

Those mounts will break sooner or later, most likely by cracking around the welds on the fairly thin mounting plate at the engine end.

loggyboy

posted on 18/9/15 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ

Those mounts will break sooner or later, most likely by cracking around the welds on the fairly thin mounting plate at the engine end.

5mm is thin? Design is based on lots of kit manufacturers principles. On what do you base this?

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.