Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MX-5 VLSD Chain Drive Conversion
AdamR20

posted on 28/10/15 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
MX-5 VLSD Chain Drive Conversion

Morning all,

I'm looking to convert an early 1.6 MX-5 VLSD to chain drive and wondering if anyone has any pearls of wisdom?

I've checked out the (probably deliberately fairly small ) photos on chaindrivediff.co.uk and think I know how they are doing it, but the bit I'm struggling on is sealing the unit up - mainly the side of the flange where the crownwheel is normally fitted, the holes circled red below:

Here are some other pics:

The 'cup' that goes over the main body of the diff looks like a right bugger to make - a LOT of boring / machining - but I guess it would be possible to do it in steel instead, using a piece of tube of the right ID and then weld a 'cap' over the end.

But yeah, anyone else done this conversion and willing to share how they did it?

Many thanks in advance,
Adam

minitici

posted on 28/10/15 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Simple - send the bits to me to convert - as you can see I have done a few!

Doug (AKA Westgarage Engineering)

AdamR20

posted on 28/10/15 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Haha. I actually just sent you an email asking for prices. I'll give you a call if it's easier Thanks.
russbost

posted on 28/10/15 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
We convert the standard MR2 Mk1 donor diff for use in the Furore, the first ones I had an ali "can" machined up similar to what you've pictured, which was bl**dy expensive, on all after the first couple we simply get plates welded into the gaps in the casing & have a bung & grease nipple, fill the diff with grease - I've not managed to break one yet with a ZZR1400, so the principle certainly works! It's simpler, cheaper & significantly lighter.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
maccmike

posted on 28/10/15 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by minitici
Simple - send the bits to me to convert - as you can see I have done a few!

Doug (AKA Westgarage Engineering)

hahaha

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.