Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welder advice please
LBMEFM

posted on 6/2/16 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Welder advice please

I know this question has been asked many, many times before but just to convince me I
am making the right decision would you please give me your opinions on the subject of welders.

I have a budget of no more than £150 to £200 max.
New or used?
New = Sealey - Draper - Wolfe
Used = Various unnamed brands on sale on e bay including Magnum - Kendis etc
Mig ?
Tig?
Gas?
Gasless?
Is100amp sufficient?

I will be using it for welding panels and general light work. Please don't suggest Clarkes
as I had one several years ago and it constantly jammed up.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Slimy38

posted on 6/2/16 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
I had this one for four years until very recently when it completely died on me;

http://www.ukhs.tv/Workshop/Welding/Combination-Gas-No-Gas-MIG-140-Welder-with-No-Gas-Kit

It's slagged off virtually everywhere else, but I had no problem with it (until it failed).

Now I've managed to get myself a Clarke 150TE for £100, used. It needed some TLC but now it's all sorted. I can't recommend it yet as I've not had it for long, but it was also jamming when I got it. I replaced the tip and shroud, cleaned the liner and dropped the roller tension right down (it was basically solid and very much worse off for it, allowing it to work under light tension was far better).

I'd always go for gas MIG, because I'm not the best welder and that combination is the easiest to work with. I tried TIG, I just couldn't get on with it. Gasless MIG has it's place, but that's not in my garage!!

Don't go for a 100 amp unit, not because it's underpowered but because they don't usually go down very far. The 100 or less ones only go down to 40 or 50, and that's still relatively high for thin metal. The Clarke 150 (and the Wolf above) both go down to 30.

Oldaker

posted on 6/2/16 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
I had a Sealey Mightymig. Lasted 20 years + and did a fair bit of work in that time. When it finally gave up, I bought a cheap Wolf ( yes, I know!) and at first couldn't get on with it. Now after using it quite a bit and having learned the settings it works well. Forget gasless , and forget using CO2 - I always use CO2/Argon mix - far better welds with this. Gasless leaves slag, like arc welding.
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 6/2/16 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have a SIP 'Autoplus 100'.
In it's day (1986) it was very, very expensive - and not made in China. This is what you want if you ever see one 2nd hand, unlikely I know. I still use this almost everyday, nothing has come close for range (bacofoil to 16g) or has produced such a steady, stable arc. Duty cycle is... well... I don't know it's never stopped due to overheat. In it's life, boggling to think how many miles and tons of wire (0.6mm) that it's used. I've bought a few torch liners and one complete torch assembly in it's lifetime. I'll die before it gives up.

I also have a Migatronics 5000MX (1990's). This runs 0.8mm, has the advantage that I've put a Eurotorch on it (some 4m), so if I have to crawl under a van chassis, it'll do the whole length. Again, trouble free, 13A mains (just) OK. Happily welds 14g, but doesn't have the bacofoil stability of the SIP.

Finally, the new kid in the garage is the Clarke 255TE. Not what you need, it's a 32A supply no prisoners plate muncher. I don't use it much, but when I do, it runs OK. Absolutely superb tacking 6mm brackets onto chassis material. This is Italian manufacture, not Chinese.

BUY A GAS SHIELDED (Argoshield) MIG - no other.

rusty nuts

posted on 6/2/16 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
I have a nearly new Clarke 160TM , done 2 welding jobs that I'm going to sell in the very near future. Cost £350 or so a couple of years ago . Looking for £150 collected from Cambridge
nick205

posted on 6/2/16 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
I know you said no to Clarke, but my 150TE works well and was purchased from ebay with no hassle either.

LBMEFM

posted on 7/2/16 at 05:53 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks rusty nuts for the offer, but as I say I have never had any luck with Clarke's tools,
my welder was nothing but trouble. Therefore, I'm a bit dubious in buying another Clarke's
item. Thanks anyway.

LBMEFM

posted on 7/2/16 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice everyone, based on your comments I have gone for a Wolfe mig 140amp gas/gasless DC welder at £140.00. Was this a good choice?
Slimy38

posted on 7/2/16 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LBMEFM
Thanks for the advice everyone, based on your comments I have gone for a Wolfe mig 140amp gas/gasless DC welder at £140.00. Was this a good choice?

I'm biased but I'd say yes. If the Clarke hadn't turned up I would have bought another one.

As with all budget MIG's, be careful with the wire feed as it takes a little while to set up the tension. But I guess that applies with any welder.

rusty nuts

posted on 7/2/16 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
rod going, you have U2U

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.