Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX12R Clutch Stuck On
Rob WM

posted on 8/3/16 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
ZX12R Clutch Stuck On

Good morning all.

Wonder if you guys can give me a few pointers. I have now finished by dads BEC, I set the speedo with a speed healer at the weekend and decided to run the engine through the gears on ramps (never been done since he got it). The car went through the gears no problem but then the clutch pedal fell to the floor. I turned the engine off and found that the cable was fine and the swing arm on the clutch housing swings freely (no resistance like there should be). I have tried rocking but had no luck. Do I need to replace the clutch or is there a simple fix? I wanted to get the car IVA'd and out of my garage so I can have mine back for summer!

Any help or advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Rob

adithorp

posted on 8/3/16 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Don'tknow if this applies to the ZX12r but...
R1's up to '03 had a diaphragm spring clutch (rather than coil springs) and if the lever travel was too great, it would flip inside-out and the clutch be stuck disengaged. Strip the clutch and it could be returned to working. Solution is either to alter the pedal leverage for shorter throw or fit a pedal stop to reduce the throw.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Rob WM

posted on 8/3/16 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your comments the engine is a ZX12R 2002, I think it is called a B2. So not sure if it has a diaphragm clutch? Originally from America. How do I check the clutch travel?

Thanks again

Rob

adithorp

posted on 8/3/16 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
I'dcompare the total travel (as you have now ) with the amount you have from rest to the clutch disengaging. If there's a big difference fit a stop to reduce the travel to just a bit more than is required to disengage. Alternative would be to alter the cable attachment point or pivot piont on the pedal to give less trow at the pedal; That would give a longer/softer feel and make the cluch less fierce and easier to drive.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Rob WM

posted on 8/3/16 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Ok Thanks will check that, unfortunately the clutch is engaged constantly at the moment. Looks like I am taking the cover off to disengage it. Not sure now if it is a diaphragm or a lack of oil or a bigger issue?
40inches

posted on 8/3/16 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Uses the same system as the ZX9R, springs and a pull rod that pulls the clutch apart. On the 9 the maximum cable travel was 25mm. or the top plate could possibly pop out of the basket slot and jam open.
The operating cam can also cause problems.
Some photos in this thread.
http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=1&TID=32723

Rob WM

posted on 8/3/16 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks that's a great thread for pictures etc, not a happy story though :-(

Looks like I have some work to do!

Moorron

posted on 8/3/16 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
1: There are topics on the net about the A1/A2 early ZX12 clutch baskets exploding when on the drag trip. You may have one that is damaged from this, but it is worse case.
2: If the engine has been left for a long time the clutch friction materiel can dry out and drag or even stick, if you had it work and now its stuck it maybe some gunk on the plates?
3: Just like in the pics posted, the amount of pressure on the release arm to clutch pull pin (inside the case) must be huge and last time I checked mine it was worn and I have uprated spring making it even more work for that connection.

Its easy to take the cover off to check, just drain the oil first or jack the front of the car up to push the oil to the rear of the sump. When taking the cover off rotate the release arm to disengage it. Clutch plates and cover are then easy to remove but I have never attempted the inner basket so cant comment on that.

Good luck

Edit, just read your post and it does sound like the pin has sheared or the arm has broke. Cornwall Kawasaki have a good online shop and I think the arm was £30 last time I checked. But open it up first.

[Edited on 8/3/16 by Moorron]

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

Rob WM

posted on 8/3/16 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Evening gents. I have now found the problem! It is the release shaft so £30 it is. The bigger issue is that the end of the push rod has snapped off. Do I need to remove the whole clutch to change this or just the clutch spring plate? Looks simple enough with 6 spring bolts and springs to remove and then replace the lot.

Will try and upload photos so you can see.

Thanks for the tip for parts btw 😊

40inches

posted on 8/3/16 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
The push(pull?) rod pulls on the spring carrier/outer pressure plate, so a reasonably simple job.
Rob WM

posted on 10/3/16 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Spot on gents, thanks for your help, it will be up and running again soon!!

Roll on the summer nights!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.