Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering wheel size
Wolf1e

posted on 24/4/16 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Steering wheel size

I know a lot of it is down to driver size and taste but what size are most people using and are the D shape wheels any good or are they mainly for limited space?

Is sort of 300mm biggest you really want to go? How about smallest? I know the smaller wheels are harder to steer at lower speeds.

Ta
Wolfie

james h

posted on 25/4/16 at 12:12 AM Reply With Quote
I use this one from Rally design: RMD 285mm Formula D

I did have the larger 320mm one, but it was just a bit too big (then I bent it in a crash ). Aesthetically, the smaller one is less fussy which I prefer.
In terms of steering effort, there isn't much needed in my BEC - I'm sure the smallest 255mm one would be fine.

Note that the RMD button and bezel can be removed.

One consideration is what you need to see through the wheel. The R1 clocks in mine (if I chose to put them on the dash) would only just be visible.

With the D shape wheel, access is probably easier for me than a round one (now I think about how I get into the car). If you're using a quick release boss, then it's obviously not an issue.

I have a quick rack so I don't have to shuffle the wheel in my hands (and across the flat part) unless I'm on full lock.

[Edited on 25/4/16 by james h]

matt5964

posted on 25/4/16 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
I use a mono team 280mm it's not D shaped but it is off centre and very good on and off track.

http://www.momo-uk.co.uk/gallery/tuning/steeringwheels/momo-team-steering-wheel.htm

Luego velocity XT 2.0ltr 221.3bhp 178.9lbft

rm0rgan

posted on 3/5/16 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Think mine is as small as your can get...255mm I think

Anyhow, no problems with steering at low speed and I have a heavy zetec up front.

I bought two for a tenner each at an auto-jumble last summer

Sigs are uncool.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.