Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec exhausts.
emwmarine

posted on 6/6/16 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Zetec exhausts.

I have a side stainless silencer for my Dax rush but because it was originally going to have an I4 engine I don't have proper manifold, cat and the bit that would connect to the side silencer for the zetec.

I do however have the original unused crate engine Ford exhaust manifold.

A few questions to help my thought processes.

Is it worth using the Ford exhaust manifold then presumably it would be simpler getting someone to fabricate a single pipe from that to my side silencer with a cat and lamda? Would it lose a lot of power using that compared to a proper 4:2:1??

Plus is there anyone in Essex, ideally near Southend that people can recommend for manifold and exhaust fabrication.

thanks

Brian

Building a Dax Rush.

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 6/6/16 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
The OE exhaust manifold is very restrictive, and I wouldn't personally use it (although others have). It can be done if you're on a budget, and I always liked the look of a single pipe exiting through the lower bodywork, but I've gone the opposite with 4 pipes exiting the head almost vertical, with a 4-1 collector on the lower outside, before going into the rear box. If you're looking for a pucka system (and have got deep enough pockets), I can thoroughly recommend Hayward & Scott in Basildon.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

chris

posted on 6/6/16 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
obviously the kit manufacturers make an array of manifolds and silencers that will fit just depends on budget and wether you want it over the side chassis or through the bottom panel when I changed to a zetec in my robinhood 2b I used the GBS GT exhaust manifold because it is made for the slightly wider chassis of the ZERO GT now I have a zero narrow body I still have the GT manifold now coupled to the GBS repackable silencer and I love it its enormous
emwmarine

posted on 6/6/16 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the recommendation.

Think i'll pay them a visit as they are not too far away.

Building a Dax Rush.

ianm67

posted on 6/6/16 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris
obviously the kit manufacturers make an array of manifolds and silencers that will fit just depends on budget and wether you want it over the side chassis or through the bottom panel when I changed to a zetec in my robinhood 2b I used the GBS GT exhaust manifold because it is made for the slightly wider chassis of the ZERO GT now I have a zero narrow body I still have the GT manifold now coupled to the GBS repackable silencer and I love it its enormous

I'll be interested to hear if this manifold fits the Dax as I have the same requirement. I have the 'standard' width Zetec manifold from GBS and it doesn't fit the Rush.

Always biting off more than I can chew.....

ianm67

posted on 6/6/16 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emwmarine
Thanks for the recommendation.

Think i'll pay them a visit as they are not too far away.

Please keep us updated, if it fits yours I shall be ordering one for my Rush.......

chris

posted on 6/6/16 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
I can give you a measurement from head face to first mandrill bend
ianm67

posted on 6/6/16 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

That could useful. Do the pipes rise when they leave the head? I think that the Zetec in the Dax sits quite low in relation to the chassis top rail.....

emwmarine

posted on 7/6/16 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianm67
quote:

That could useful. Do the pipes rise when they leave the head? I think that the Zetec in the Dax sits quite low in relation to the chassis top rail.....

Ian I think I ended up locating my engine a tiny bit further forward and higher up than yours. Spent a long time looking at your photos.

I'll take some of mine evenutually. The cambelt cover on mine at the front just touches the bonet and means I probably will have to fit a power bulge in the bonnet.

Building a Dax Rush.

ianm67

posted on 7/6/16 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emwmarine
quote:
Originally posted by ianm67
quote:

Ian I think I ended up locating my engine a tiny bit further forward and higher up than yours. Spent a long time looking at your photos.

I'll take some of mine evenutually. The cambelt cover on mine at the front just touches the bonet and means I probably will have to fit a power bulge in the bonnet.

Do you want to try the manifold that I have sat in my garage......?

chris

posted on 7/6/16 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
It's 330mm to number 4 bend which is closest to chassis and yes it does bend upwards there are pictures of it on my St170 done thread

[Edited on 7/6/16 by chris]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.