Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Debit Card Prob (Squared)
Dick Axtell

posted on 7/6/16 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Debit Card Prob (Squared)

G'day Fellow LCB-ers,

I'm not normally given to ranting, but a very recent banking "anomaly" has caused some enraged teeth grinding.

There has been an unauthorised direct debit on my/our bank account, and I subsequently contacted the bank by phone. The very pleasant Scottish call-centre lady confirmed that no such direct debit was on my list. However, she then reported that this DD had been "...cancelled by the originator"! After the funds had been withdrawn.

I've been in touch with the payee, to emphasise that this payment was unauthorised, and that a prompt refund is required.

I have also messaged the bank, asking how this unauthorised payment was allowed in the first place, because it seems to me that there has been some kind of security breach.

To underline all this, a payment had been expected - but not from this account!!! From another bank!

So I'm still puzzled as to why this has occurred, and moreover, I reckon that there is some kinda scam involved, somewhere along the line.

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

nick205

posted on 7/6/16 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't sound quite right to me and I'd expect the bank to sort it pretty damned fast as well.

Dick Axtell

posted on 7/6/16 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
Still waiting for the bank to call me back. The payee has at least acknowledged my email - "We'll get back to you within 2 working days".

[Edited on 7/6/16 by Dick Axtell]

bi22le

posted on 7/6/16 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Name and Shane

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

dmac

posted on 7/6/16 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
You've told the bank there was an error, why haven't they refunded your money as per the direct debit guarantee? surely its their problem to get the money back from the person they paid it to?

https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/pages/directdebitguarantee.aspx

Dick Axtell

posted on 8/6/16 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all for the feedback.

Decided on further action - contacted bank again, went thru the details - again, and was told, yes the direct debit had been set up OK.

NO - IT B****Y WASN'T!! Finally got that penny to drop, so now we have to go thru a "direct debit indemnity" procedure. This means I get my money back.

Good.

But - If the payee can support its claim that the payment was correctly authorised, the bank will re-debit my account.

NOT so good.

The very simple question - how was payment authorised on a First Direct account, when the initial deal was done using a Santander account - has NOT been answered.

You may have gathered that I'm well & truly p1$$3d off by all this, and that's without having to deal with the original merchant who engineered the deal in the first place.

gremlin1234

posted on 8/6/16 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
But - If the payee can support its claim that the payment was correctly authorised, the bank will re-debit my account.

NOT so good.
if the bank charge you again then the Financial Ombudsman Service is there for you.

see
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/fight-back-fos

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.