Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another camo car
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/9/16 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
Another camo car

Took a couple of pics before coming to work after putting it outside last night for the first time. Still need to put the trim on the bottom of the doors but quite happy with how it turned out. Makes the Volvo look even more substantial especially the doors and really dwarfs the little Bluebird. Took 3 evenings to do rather than the 1 night to spray the Bluebird, just so many seals, curves and fiddly bits masking was a real chore.

Not sure what to do with the wheels tbh not very keen on the way they get dirty so quickly, suppose painting them black would sort than but...not sure I'd like that and may just put 5 spokes on, maybe bright orange too oh dear

[Edited on 9/9/16 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 9/9/16 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting - not my preferred finish on a vehicle, but I guess it reduces the chance of theft and makes the car easier to locate for you

David Jenkins

posted on 9/9/16 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
... and makes the car easier to locate for you

Only if he doesn't park under trees!

Ivan

posted on 9/9/16 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
That's well done.

I notice that the colour of the car you are driving influences the number of close calls from others pulling out in front of you, so I wonder what impact Camo paint would have on that dynamic.

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/9/16 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Well I've been driving the camouflage Bluebird for over a year now and it's a common question but I think kind of obvious when you look at the car and somewhat amusingly depending on where it is, the camouflage pattern actually sticks out much more than say a black car would as it just doesn’t blend with towns etc.

However…when I am driving in the countryside (especially wooded or in poor light) I do, I think sensibly put the lights on just in case it blends in at the wrong moment such as an oncoming car overtaking etc. The Volvo’s lights come on automatically anyway.

Even normal colours like blacks, greys & whites do have occasions where the colour choice makes them less visible such as a white car in fog (with no lights on!)

The thing with camouflage is there is not one type that works with everything or even much at all and if it doesn’t match it just stands out even more. So far I’ve had no issues and the insurance company didn’t ask for any more to cover it.

I don’t know if you ever saw the documentary about James Dean where it was thought his shinny silver Porsche may have blended into the road heat haze looking more like a mirage and hence the other driver pulled out into him. You can never win...unless perhaps you paint your car fluorescent pink!

[Edited on 9/9/16 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 9/9/16 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
I guess from your post you've advised the insurer of the colour change - have you also advised the DVLA and had the V5C updated and if so what have they put on it?

Feel free not to answer if you prefer - no offence will be taken here

DJT

posted on 9/9/16 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
I've thought a few times it would be fun to camo my caravan. Just to be different and upset the boomers in the Caravan Club sites. I see yours is there, just begging to be done.

http://tigeravonbuilddiary.blogspot.com/

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/9/16 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DJT
I've thought a few times it would be fun to camo my caravan. Just to be different and upset the boomers in the Caravan Club sites. I see yours is there, just begging to be done.

That would be really fun if an epic task on a caravan. I think the wife would just kill me though! The Volvo is to be the tow car from now on once the cmax is sold so may upset a few stiff lips next time

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/9/16 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I guess from your post you've advised the insurer of the colour change - have you also advised the DVLA and had the V5C updated and if so what have they put on it?

Feel free not to answer if you prefer - no offence will be taken here

I've not updated the V5 of the colour change, mainly as I can't be bothered since it counts for so little. I actually got pulled over by the police for (accidently) going over the Bluebirds MOT date by a week (too many cars...) and the car came up as silver but they didn't even bother about the wrong colour just saying it was a bit different!

However I think on the V5 it would go down as multi-coloured.

David Jenkins

posted on 9/9/16 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
You can never win...unless perhaps you paint your car fluorescent pink!

I once read a review of a car painted dayglo pink... they reckoned that it attracted other cars! Something about other drivers fixating on the super-bright car and drifting towards it.

joneh

posted on 9/9/16 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
That looks really well done, good job.
Mr Whippy

posted on 9/9/16 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joneh
That looks really well done, good job.

Thanks

ken555

posted on 9/9/16 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I'm always amused when I spot you on the way home.

Everytime, I think to myself, its not working too well

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/9/16 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ken555
I'm always amused when I spot you on the way home.

Everytime, I think to myself, its not working too well

Yeah I know but I just like camo patterns tbh, I actually had the Volvo up for sale really only because the car looked too plain, now I'm happy with it

02GF74

posted on 15/9/16 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Good effort. Its always difficult getting randomness and the amout of eac colour in proportion.

I drew out thr plan for my land rover, MOD specify 2/4 green to 1/3 black and how to break up the outlinr.

Never occured to me that the lr would "disapper" to other drivers, i mran if you cannot see a 3 m long nearly 3 m high green and black blob then you shouldnt br driving.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.