Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How not to Q Plate?
the_big_1

posted on 25/10/16 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
How not to Q Plate?

Hi Guys,

Building a Haynes from new chassis etc, will get a doner ford for the 2.0l Zetec.
Is it possable to use the plate off the donner, transfer I mean etc as I would like to avoid a q plate so I can private reg the finished car.
What would I need to do if its possable?

Cheers!

joneh

posted on 25/10/16 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
No, but you can get an age related plate if you use 2 major components from the donor. I seem to remember some sort of points system but I guess that may have changed...

Check this out: dvla

Slimy38

posted on 25/10/16 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
If you're building from new, and take everything else you need from the one donor, you should be fine to get an age related plate. The donor reg number is destroyed though, there's no transfer.

Don't scrap the donor until you come to register your finished car though, otherwise you won't have the age record and you'll end up back with a Q plate. Dispose of the shell as scrap metal, and keep the reg plate and VIN with the V5 for when you have finished your car.

And don't put the private plate on the donor, you won't be able to get it off once you dismantle it and you'll lose the number.

loggyboy

posted on 25/10/16 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Point system is for radically altered vehicles, not kits.
As mentioned, you will need two items from a donor, from this list.
Engine.
Transmission
Gearbox
Steering
Suspension.

Make sure donor is new enough to place the chosen personalised plate on. Also if the donor already has the personalised plate on it then stick ot on retention before mot expires and within 12months of sorning.

Mistral Motorsport

russbost

posted on 26/10/16 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
Also essential to be able to prove the chassis is new, IIRC you get 5 points for a new chassis & need 8 in total. I've got a feeling it's 2 points for engine & 1 for each of, axles (F & R), transmission, brakes & suspension (F & R). If you have a used chassis & use engine & one other from a single donor you should get an age related plate

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Irony

posted on 26/10/16 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Whats wrong with a Q? I just plain don't understand the stigma. It has zero bearing on the insurance costs these days. My road Tax is far more than my insurance.
adithorp

posted on 26/10/16 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Whats wrong with a Q? I just plain don't understand the stigma. It has zero bearing on the insurance costs these days. My road Tax is far more than my insurance.

quote:
Originally posted by the_big_1
I would like to avoid a q plate so I can private reg the finished car.

He wants to put his private plate on it after registration. You can't do that with a Q.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

the_big_1

posted on 26/10/16 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys!

So I will be using the engine for sure. How do I prove say the brakes are from the donor car as they don't have number to match like the engine?
Chassis is brand new, loads of photos of my build will be available.

Will do plate change after IVA and age related plate is set up on the car etc.

benchmark51

posted on 26/10/16 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Understand the stigma or not it is still there . Maybe it is the letter Q making it sound like there is something queer about it ?
I don't think any letter is necessary to denote a kit car as most are obvious by being superior to other cars

Thought I would mention I have a fully running ST170 up for grabs 54 plate, no MoT.

[Edited on 26/10/16 by benchmark51]

DJT

posted on 26/10/16 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
The downside of a Q is the inability to put a vanity plate on it, if you care about that sort of thing. The upside is that MoT emmissions test is much easier to pass - visible smoke test only.

http://tigeravonbuilddiary.blogspot.com/

russbost

posted on 26/10/16 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Cheers guys!

So I will be using the engine for sure. How do I prove say the brakes are from the donor car as they don't have number to match like the engine?
Chassis is brand new, loads of photos of my build will be available.

Will do plate change after IVA and age related plate is set up on the car etc.

You "prove" it by the fact that you have the V5 for the donor, preferably registered in your name, if you are using the engine then the no. will match, providing the brakes etc are from that same model then they have to accept that if you say the brakes, or suspension, steering - whatever, have come from that car then that's where they have come from, as you've pointed out yourself, there is no way of physically identifying parts from one car or another. It's a ridiculous system, but at least you no longer have to have the DVLA check the car after VOSA have on the IVA.

It's not usually a problem, only if you happen to get a DVLA numpty - unfortunately, they do seem to have a fair few of them!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
the_big_1

posted on 26/10/16 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
lol you get those guys every where!

How can the tell where the brakes are from, are they that clued up?
Only reason I ask is using sierra uprights and callipers front, callipers rear. If I have the V5 in my name, engine the same, are they really going to know the callipers are from a sierra?

What price is the ST170?

BenB

posted on 26/10/16 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Can the engine and gearbox be combined and still count as per a BEC?
snapper

posted on 26/10/16 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
What axle/hubs, steering, gearbox, brakes are you planning on using?
It may be easier to base the age related on the parts used i.e. Buy a Sierra or Mazda donor and just add an engine of choice
You'll still have enough points for an age related

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

the_big_1

posted on 26/10/16 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I have all parts almost now. sierra uprights, brakes and transmission. Looking for a 2.0L Zetec donor to get engine from and then use it as the registration age etc

benchmark51

posted on 26/10/16 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
lol you get those guys every where!

Only reason I ask is using sierra uprights and callipers front, callipers rear. If I have the V5 in my name, engine the same, are they really going to know the callipers are from a sierra?

What price is the ST170?

Open to offers. Car is running/driving. Have MoT failure sheet, brakes, couple of suspension bushes, rear number plate.

Photo in my archive, but has non serious dent o/s/r wing (not shown)

gremlin1234

posted on 26/10/16 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
they certainly will know the difference between front vs rear wheel drive configurations.

the_big_1

posted on 26/10/16 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Sure they will know front and rear wheel drive but I was hoping that new chassis, use engine out of donor and say the front and rear brakes are from the donor would be enough?
They shouldn't be able to tell the difference between say mondeo brake callipers and sierra brake callipers?

loggyboy

posted on 26/10/16 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hi,

Sure they will know front and rear wheel drive but I was hoping that new chassis, use engine out of donor and say the front and rear brakes are from the donor would be enough?
They shouldn't be able to tell the difference between say mondeo brake callipers and sierra brake callipers?

Brakes arent on the list of major components needed.

Mistral Motorsport

russbost

posted on 26/10/16 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Hi,

Brakes arent on the list of major components needed.

I see they have completely changed the form from the old V627/1

see HERE

Wierdly, they list brakes for trikes, but not for cars, they still however insist on listing axles, which is a very ambiguous term when talking about modern cars!

So it's chassis (which you have new - 5 points)

Then:-

Axles
Transmission
Steering assembly
Engine
Suspension

So you need to show 3 items off that list have come from a single donor to get a non - Q plate. They are not all entirely stupid & if you tell them it's a Haynes Roadster there is every possibility they would know that uses Sierra uprights etc. & not parts from a modern fwd donor, what you really want is a Sierra donor reg in which case you would have axles x 2, transmission & steering assembly?

When we register the Furore's we are usually doing so with a bike engine,, however they accept the Toyota diff as "transmission" & we use all the Toyota uprights, some steering, driveshafts brakes etc etc. I've never had a problem getting an age related reg with the exception of the first car which was a complete Bitza in terms of what I had built it from, the majority was Formula Ford parts which of course had never had a registration

the_big_1

posted on 26/10/16 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
ohhhh well, q plate it must be!!!

Gutted as usual!!!!

Can not use transmission, can not use axles, can not use suspension, can not use steering :0(

Wish the steering wheel counted lol

gremlin1234

posted on 26/10/16 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
ohhhh well, q plate it must be!!!

Gutted as usual!!!!

Can not use transmission, can not use axles, can not use suspension, can not use steering :0(

Wish the steering wheel counted lol
at least you know where you stand.
not much wrong with q plate, and many advantages
so just try and get that st170 ;-)

loggyboy

posted on 26/10/16 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost

Wierdly, they list brakes for trikes, but not for cars, they still however insist on listing axles, which is a very ambiguous term when talking about modern cars!

So it's chassis (which you have new - 5 points)

Then:-

Axles
Transmission
Steering assembly
Engine
Suspension

So you need to show 3 items off that list have come from a single donor to get a non - Q plate. They are not all entirely stupid & if you tell them it's a Haynes Roadster there is every possibility they would know that uses Sierra uprights etc. & not parts from a modern fwd donor, what you really want is a Sierra donor reg in which case you would have axles x 2, transmission & steering assembly?

When we register the Furore's we are usually doing so with a bike engine,, however they accept the Toyota diff as "transmission" & we use all the Toyota uprights, some steering, driveshafts brakes etc etc. I've never had a problem getting an age related reg with the exception of the first car which was a complete Bitza in terms of what I had built it from, the majority was Formula Ford parts which of course had never had a registration

You can't apply the points system to kits, thats only where you are replacing a chassis with an identical equivent. for kit builds you need 2 major items from the list already quoted.

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.