Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GSX R 1000 OIL LEVEL
limpetminer

posted on 14/11/16 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
GSX R 1000 OIL LEVEL

How do you check oil level on the gsxr 1000 engine, is there a sight glass or dip stick? looked at a car at weekend & owner didnt know said his mechanic does it.
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 14/11/16 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Cynical me would ask myself... how often does 'his mechanic' check it, change the oil and look at all the other things on such vehicles that need constant attention. Further cynicism would develop around the concept of talking to someone about a car, that he clearly knows so little about (myriad of reasons for that observation, none of them would make me feel positive about it all).

Anyway - sight glass on the side of the cover. If it's wet-sumped you should see lots of oil, overfilled. Mention 'baffle plate' and see what reaction/answer you get.
If it's dry-sumped, there shouldn't be any oil visible, it should be in the oil tank.

[Edited on 15/11/16 by motorcycle_mayhem]

chutley

posted on 15/11/16 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem
Cynical me would ask myself... how often does 'his mechanic' check it, change the oil and look at all the other things on such vehicles that need constant attention. Further cynicism would develop around the concept of talking to someone about a car, that he clearly knows so little about (myriad of reasons for that observation, none of them would make me feel positive about it all).

Anyway - sight glass on the side of the cover. If it's wet-sumped you should see lots of oil, overfilled. Mention 'baffle plate' and see what reaction/answer you get.
If it's wet-sumped, there shouldn't be any oil visible, it should be in the oil tank.

You have stated oil in sight glass for wet sump, and no oil in sight glass for wet sump.... Assume you meant no oil in sight glass for dry sump?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.